what kind of lawn mower do you have?? pic request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1939 VC Case with a 60" Woods deck is the big mower (its tuned up to about 28 HP), and for the trimming I use a 1976 Allis Chalmers Hydrostatic (bullet proof) with a 48" deck. The only thing I walk behind is a 4 stroke string trimmer/cultivator/edger/pole saw.

Unknown vintage John Deere F910. Pure pleasure to operate.

Attachments

• jd f910.jpg
    jd f910.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 391
I've nothing to mow, thus I have no mower. Back in Virginia, where I did have something to mow, I rode a little MTD lawn tractor with a 38" deck (fit through the gates) and a Briggs & Stratton engine. I think it was about a 12 horse, don't really remember. Reconfigured (jury rigged) the throttle after the original fell apart. Replaced the plastic starter gear ring on the engine with the re-engineered metal one. Replaced the battery. Had a sheet metal shop bend me a new battery shelf. Disassembled, de-rusted and repainted most of it. Put tubes in the rear tires. Replaced the front tires. Replaced the start solenoid. Used it for much more than just mowing, as I had a little trailer to drag behind. All this over the course of ~11 years of good service out of the thing, and it was running strong when I gave it to a friend in advance of our move to Oregon. Rick

fossil said:
I've nothing to mow.....

I wish I could say the same. Dang lawn. Maybe I should get some goats or sheep. :-/

I really like my low maintenance landscape out here. Whatever we plant will be native stuff that belongs here. We'll prob'ly sod about 1500 ft² in the back yard, but no more than that. I can do that with a real "push mower". Moving from the rain forest of Virginia to the high desert of Oregon is a definite change of lifestyle in many ways. I haven't used either of my weed whackers or my hedge trimmer or my leaf blowers since I left there. Oh yeah, I forgot to say about the mower that I rewired my old MTD to remove all the safety switches. That way, I could mow in reverse...very handy. Rick

Exmark 60" zero-turn, 48" Scag walk-behind, and 32" Troy Bilt walk-behind.

Wet1 said:
Exmark 60" zero-turn, 48" Scag walk-behind, and 32" Troy Built walk-behind.
are you a lawn jocky or a very smart home owner with alot of acers

Old Crapsman 'lectric mower, 16" bought used (for $75.00) the year I moved into the house ('bout 10 years ago). I use it a few times a year to mow down the weeds. I don't believe in "lawns" in So. Calif. -- monument to wasted water is what I call them. My wife wants a real lawn in the back (purty small, actually), so at some point I'll have to do some work back there. When I do get that done, it will be small enough to mow with the old-style (manual) push mower. Bought that one for $10 at a yard sale and paid $25 to have the blades sharpened, but it don't work so well on overgrown weeds.

Peace,
- Sequoia

smokinj said:
Wet1 said:
I paid for part of my collage education by playing 'lawn jockey'. My lawn is only about .4 acres (I live on the shore). I have a 3.5 car garage, the house, and a long/wide driveway taking up much of the lawn. Using the 60", it takes me about 2 to 3 minutes to mow my lawn. :cheese:

Gotta have the right tools for the job... it's kind of like having the 120cc saws for bucking up firewood. :)

1977 jd 212
DSC00216.jpg

2005 jd 110 - this is me and the kids in the 4th of july parade with the radio station i work for... we do the "redneck games" every year, and the local jd dealer is a big sponsor. so that year we had a whole bunch of jd's in the parade with us.
18013064139.jpg

the jd110 serves double duty, mowing in the summer and pushing snow in the winter. I cant find the rest of my pics of it... oh well.

Wet1 said:
smokinj said:
Wet1 said:
I paid for part of my collage education by playing 'lawn jockey'. My lawn is only about .4 acres (I live on the shore). I have a 3.5 car garage, the house, and a long/wide driveway taking up much of the lawn. Using the 60", it takes me about 2 to 3 minutes to mow my lawn. :cheese:

Gotta have the right tools for the job... it's kind of like having the 120cc saws for bucking up firewood. :)
I done that gig through collage as well,useing push mowers on 5000sqft lawns 30= accounts 20.00 bucks a pop. Your equiment is good for 60+ acers a week, exmark and scag doesn't get any better!l

I've got a 19?? Bunton 48" walk behind. It's a tank of a mower. I bought it used, hoping to save a few bucks. Then the almost new engine on it took a dump; dead mouse in the cooling duct which caused the grass to pack in. After that, I threw a blade belt and realized my spindles were shot...replaced those and the belts too. So, I didn't exactly save much money. But the mower has lot of new parts on it. And will probably last a good long time since I'm just a homeowner using it weekly.

Old pic...I painted the deck and the cover John Deere green since this was taken.

Attachments

• NewEngineInstalled.jpg
    NewEngineInstalled.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 339
Had been a Snapper fan, owned two self propelled walk behind over 30 years. Love the Thatcherizer and Snapperizer attachments. Just picked up a Cub Cadet self propelled for SWMBO. Mulch everthing.

Lawnmower, rototiller, wood hauler, skidder for small jobs where a landowner doesn't want a real one, landscaper, poop hauler, and whatever else needs done.

Attachments

• John Deere resized.jpg
    John Deere resized.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 272
Status
Not open for further replies.