What kind of Lighting do you have in your shed and on the outside of your shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Looking for lights for the inside and outside of a new shed.

What do you have?

Attachments

• ShedLight.jpg
    ShedLight.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 582
4 ft T8 housings in mine. 16x20ft with 8ft ceiling. Walmart, ~$10 each. Outside I have a flood light on the front, but I don't hardly use it. Have used it once or twice in the last 6-7 months since I finished the shed.

I've got High-Pressure Sodium lamps on 3 sides of the house/garage and the typical florescents in the garage. Really like those HPS units outside. I have a small one near the back door that lights up the deck nicely. I have 1 pair of halogen floods for short use/instant on.

no lites on the shed at all
flashlighworks for me
usually nothing in the shed I need after dark

It is convenient that Christmas is nearly the shortest day of the year.

Attachments

• shed lights.jpg
    shed lights.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 557
Does anyone have the solar lights like the ones Harbor Freight sell?

Jack Straw said:

not sure if they are the same but
we have some from the dollar store
and suprisingly they are still working
into the second year

I just changed out my garage lights for some 4' fluorescent fixtures. They are much better than the the single bulb fixtures.

As for outside, I am just installing some sconce lights outside the house. You can get some pretty affordable ones at Lowes or HD. Pretty simple really, pancake box on outside and then install. I had to drill my siding with a 4" hole saw in order to install the pancake on the outside of the house. Again - pretty simple.

Nothing inside, but we got a solar motion detector from Lowes on the outside. Works 99% of the time, but it's not in direct sun either, so I can't complain about the 1% of the time it doesn't!

None on woodshed. Its at parents acreage along with 75% of my wood supply & probably 200 ft up the hill to the NW of that security light on power pole.

no lites in my shed, when it gets dark I give up. Early to bed early to rise, only getting 9.5 hrs of light nowadays

Just a couple of nothin' fancy typical twin-lamp exterior fixtures. Only use them when I forgot to bring in enough wood before it got dark. Rick

Attachments

• niteshed.jpg
    niteshed.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 431
fossil said:
Just a couple of nothin' fancy typical twin-lamp exterior fixtures. Only use them when I forgot to bring in enough wood before it got dark. Rick

Very nice Rick

Thanks for the cool picture, it came out great!!

One more question?

Where do you turn the lights on?

I just spent all day today putting a wall switch in my kitchen to turn the outside shed lights on before I go out. :)

I could have wired a three-way from inside the house, but I decided not to bother. I've got a twin light exterior flood under the eave at the corner of the house (switched from inside the house) that lights my way to the shed just fine. (The shed is only about 30' from the house). Shed lights have their own weatherproof switch in the shed, along with a weatherproof duplex outlet which has been useful from time to time. Rick

ETA: It also turned out to be a perfect place to pick up power for a muti-zone sprinkler system installed with landscaping and fences long after the shed was built.

fossil said:
I could have wired a three-way from inside the house, but I decided not to bother. I've got a twin light exterior flood under the eave at the corner of the house (switched from inside the house) that lights my way to the shed just fine. (The shed is only about 30' from the house). Shed lights have their own weatherproof switch in the shed, along with a weatherproof duplex outlet which has been useful from time to time. Rick

ETA: It also turned out to be a perfect place to pick up power for a muti-zone sprinkler system installed with landscaping and fences long after the shed was built.

Hi Rick

Yes my shed is close too but on the side of the yard. I have a 500 watt Quartz motion light that lights the back yard but still a little dark on the side with the shed. So the ditch I dug for the shed wiring was only 27 feet so I threw in the 14-3 UF-B for the 3 Way switch in the kitchen. A little extra work to wire in but it just might be worthwhile when I get a light on the shed outside. Might not be this year with the cold weather already here!!

Good idea for using the power for the sprinkler, I will keep that in mind.

I just have a table lamp inside the shed right now until I can wire in some real lights whenever I can!

Not sure if the op was looking for wood shed lighting or just shed lighting. For my wood shed, I've nothing wired up because the halogen spot off the back of my garage throws enough light to fill my wood bags. For my regular shed, I've got a quadruple 4' fluorescent fixture in and a dual halogen spot out. If I need to light up the whole back yard, I can use the concept of triangulation via my shed, garage, and porch.

S

thinkxingu said:
Not sure if the op was looking for wood shed lighting or just shed lighting. For my wood shed, I've nothing wired up because the halogen spot off the back of my garage throws enough light to fill my wood bags. For my regular shed, I've got a quadruple 4' fluorescent fixture in and a dual halogen spot out. If I need to light up the whole back yard, I can use the concept of triangulation via my shed, garage, and porch.

S

Hi thinkxingu

I have a regular shed. Even though I have a 500 Watt Quartz Halogen lighting up the back yard, the shed is on the right side so it is still dark. I just finished installing a 3-way switch in the Kitchen near the side door to a 3-way switch inside the shed near the shed door. Now I need to wire up some lighting.

I was thinking of some rope light under the soffit along the front of the shed. Then I could see the front door.

Does anyone use LED Rope Light? It is fairly cheap and lasts 20 years. The only problem I have seen with the rope light is the clips break real easy.
So I found some real heavy duty crocodile clips on line
See >> http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/2110/SIV-206CPCLIP.html

The reviews on these babies are excellent! :)

[quote author="Carbon_Liberator" date="1324242197"]I got rope lights hooked to a motion detector. They work as clearance lights when I'm backing into the narrow driveway.

Thanks for the pic. Nice idea!!

Jack Straw said:

I mounted this one out of the weather. It is surprisingly bright and works very well. Only thing is our dogs and cats walk around the area and turn it on which runs down the batteries by daybreak. After 3 years of working without any problems I think the battery pack needs replaced because when it got cold this fall the bulb no longer lights up, the unit just hums.

HF Solar Powered Security Light

wetwood said:
Jack Straw said:

I mounted this one out of the weather. It is surprisingly bright and works very well. Only thing is our dogs and cats walk around the area and turn it on which runs down the batteries by daybreak. After 3 years of working without any problems I think the battery pack needs replaced because when it got cold this fall the bulb no longer lights up, the unit just hums.

HF Solar Powered Security Light

That is a good idea, but I am leaning more towards the 20 year LED rope light!

Carbon_Liberator said:
I got rope lights hooked to a motion detector. They work as clearance lights when I'm backing into the narrow driveway.

shedlights.gif

Hello Carbon

I really like the Rope Light Idea

So I shopped around and Target has the cheapest for me. I got 2 strips for the Inside of the shed.

9 Feet Cool 1/2" White Rope Light at Target
https://www-secure.target.com/p/-/A-13579211

Also some nice rugged clips. Some of the clips break so easily!!
These clips are made to work with Sheet Rock Screws for easy installation with a Sheet Rock Screw Gun!!!

Crocadile clips
http://www.environmentallights.com/SearchResults.aspx?q=croc

Status
Not open for further replies.