What Kind Of Maple Is It? Picture Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Free score courtesy of the city. It kind a looks like Silver Maple to me, but it doesn't have that scaly peel away bark like the Silver Maple I've seen before. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 000_0011.jpg
    000_0011.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 860
  • 000_0012.jpg
    000_0012.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 866
silver

You have to remember that oftentimes the bark on a tree looks very different from young to medium sized tree to older and larger tree.

Good point, this was definitely an older tree. I left what looked like the two sections of the trunk, they were over 3' diameter and 10' long. The bark still looks a little different than similar sized Silver Maples throughout my city and the color of the wood seems darker too. What ever it is it's going in the stove.

I would say silver as well. Its not a red maple like I hav alot of...Same density though

Not sure what it is, but it's not Pine. Rick

fossil said:

Ya can't burn that stuff anyways.....Jeesh! %-P

Jags said:
fossil said:

Ya can't burn that stuff anyways.....Jeesh! %-P

Actually, I can't not burn it. :lol: Rick

I burned silver maple last year that looks just like that picture. I like to use this site when I want to know what it is http://www.oplin.org/tree/

Needs_a_little_splitting maple.

MMaul said:
I burned silver maple last year that looks just like that picture. I like to use this site when I want to know what it is http://www.oplin.org/tree/
we only cut 20+cords of it in the last 6 months

Is that why I see it in my sleep.

MMaul said:
Is that why I see it in my sleep.
Yep if i never see another one it will be to soon!

OK I got around to splitting some of this stuff and it doesn't split like any Maple I've split before. It shreads apart and has a twisty grain like some kind of Elm but it's really light weight and still wet. My little 8 ton splitter was groaning and many rounds got stuck in the wedge. I posted this over at the Arborsite and most think it's Basswood, but I'm not so sure,the Basswood I see around here has very thick grooved bark.

Attachments

• 100_0722.jpg
    100_0722.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 529
  • 100_0723.jpg
    100_0723.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 517
  • 100_0726.jpg
    100_0726.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 507
I still think its silver maple. I've had some limbs growing under a lot of tension/compression split like that.

The bark looks like silver maple to me. Basswood doesn't get stringy like that when split. Color isn't quite right either.

Its btus!!!

kbarnes12 said:
I have had split silver maple that ended up looking just like that. ;-)

+1 silver maple hart wood can get quite stringy we use hachets with a log splitter to keep moving quikly

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Does the wood have a strong smell to it??
Did you get it from a swampy/moist area??

No smell, it was retrieved from the local city recycle area. The bark just doesn't look the same as the other Silver Maples I see all over here. It's going in the stove no matter what, but it just bugs me not knowing exactly what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.