what kind of oak is 'live oak'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know about the difference in the btu's of the different woods, but do not know what type 'live oak' falls into. South central Texas is almost all live oak- excapt some mesquite. How will the live oak burn? Read the thread about which woods to stay away from- here in Wyoming, all we have is cottenwood! Smokey yes, but with my Blaze King Queen ( I think- don't think it was a Princess...). Anyway, I would have hot large coals in the morning- stove still keeping house fairly warm-2000 ft2. I am moving to Texas full time, and planning house, etc. Thanks!

When I'm down at my in-laws in the Orlando area, I always admire the oak there. It's abundant, attractive and I always thought it must be great firewood. Who needs firewood in Orlando? Anyway follow this link which indicates that it is one of the densest hardwoods going and hence a great fuel wood. http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Live_oak/liveoak.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.