What kind of oak is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shmodaddy

Burning Hunk
Sep 12, 2011
So IL
Hey all!! I hope your summer was more productive than mine. Holy smokes it seems summers fly by faster and faster every year. Please bear with me folks as I'm trying this a different way through tapatalk so hopefully this will work.

So I've already hauled two tree trunks home like this and the best I could tell / come up with is its a "willow" oak, so I thought id ask the experts here what they think. You may be able to see a few acorns in one of the pics but the leaves are like none I've seen. At any rate any wood is good wood right?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347457117330.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347457117330.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 222
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347457251976.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347457251976.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 206
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347457395290.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347457395290.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 199
Could also be Shingle Oak,are of scattered occurence in the midwest.One of the Red Oaks.

Looks nothing like any Oak I have seen, more of a Magnolia.

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Leaves look too wide to be willow oak.
I'd second Thistle on shingle oak

Strange! Looks magnolia-ish to me, too. Terminal bud looks oaky, but definitely not willow oak.

Well I agree not like any other oak I've seen. If it wasn't for seeing acorns on it I would never believe it to be oak either. Rest assured it DOES have acorns.

Ill try and get a pic of the acorns soon tonight or tomorrow when I get back. The other two logs I brought home had that whiskey smell to them when I cut them.

What you have there is a tree.
:p

Ill try and get a pic of the acorns soon tonight or tomorrow
Almost positive it is Shingle Oak. We have quite a few around here and I have one about 20' from the house. Acorn pics and some bark pics from different parts of the tree would help. Acorns are small, 1/2 to 5/8".

Almost positive it is Shingle Oak. We have quite a few around here and I have one about 20' from the house. Acorn pics and some bark pics from different parts of the tree would help. Acorns are small, 1/2 to 5/8".

Yep, Shingle Oak, I've got 4 on the back 6 acres. I just can't bring myself to cut them.

Yes acorns are small and sporadic I put the tree on the ground last night ill run over n get some more pics this eve I

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro--

That's a new one on me too.

Dad burned southerners.... No wonder I haven't seen one.

Sorry for not getting the additional pics my daughters 4yo birthday was yesterday and we went out to eat as a family with the grandparents and totally ate waaayyyy too much! Still going to try and get them before the weekend tho.

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro--

This is a pic of shingle oak leaves, never heard of it either.

Shingle%20Oak%20leaf.jpg

Dad burned southerners.... No wonder I haven't seen one.
Not to worry. With the rise in global temps, their range should move north. If you want, I can send you some acorns to plant... ==c

That's cool, I actually discovered a couple new Oaks in my area this summer which I find kinda funny due to my lifelong fascination with trees, but anywho turns out a neighbor has a Sawtooth Oak which I discovered because a small one is growing next to my veggie garden, gonna transplant it this fall to a more prominent location for future glory.

Not to worry. With the rise in global temps, their range should move north. If you want, I can send you some acorns to plant... ==c

Thanks Woody. If all winters were like last year, it surely would survive. However, most winters just are not like that so we'll let the squirrels get the acorns from the neighbor's woods and bury them in our sand. We get hundreds of new oaks every year that way. lol

Thanks Woody. If all winters were like last year, it surely would survive. However, most winters just are not like that so we'll let the squirrels get the acorns from the neighbor's woods and bury them in our sand. We get hundreds of new oaks every year that way. lol

That's kinda what I do. Although I cut pretty much year-round (except for 95+ degree days,below 0 & if there's a foot of snow on the ground),in the fall whenever I see random stray acorns & some hickory nuts during my cutting sessions I always stomp plenty of them into the ground with my boot heel.Hoping most will sprout & replace all the dead I've been cutting out.In 60-80 yrs I wont be around to see the results....but someone else will.

Just a few days ago I used the weed whacker to destroy about a hundred little oaks that were by the barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.