What kind of Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

czorbach

Dec 25, 2008
North Baltimore
Local tree service dropped these rounds off for me.
They are wet from the recent rain.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG00102v.jpg
    IMG00102v.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG00103v.jpg
    IMG00103v.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG00104v.jpg
    IMG00104v.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 669
If it's red oak you'll know as soon as you crack one open it'll be red & smell strong kinda like cat piss. I haven't seen rings like that,but I'm not up on the many kinds of oak

By the looks of the bark and the leave, I would also say Pin Oak.

Looks more like southern or spanish oak to me

pin oak is supposed to have very lacy pointy leaves

I have to get a book out to tell the difference betweeen black oak, scarlet oak and pin oak
(and collect some of the nuts, too)
and even then they supposedly can interbreed and then you've got confused oak

I don't think the leaves are right for Pin Oak, although it appears those are leaves emerging from a short branch along the trunk, which can sometimes produce atypical leaves. otherwise it looks like Pin Oak. Perhaps this is one of the southern species in the red oak clan. Cherrybark Oak, perhaps?

I agree. It is not pin oak even though the wood looks very similar.

Thanks for the many insights.
I am attaching a copy of the splits.
Definitely smells like cat piss.

Attachments

• IMG00106v.jpg
    IMG00106v.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 458
That picture does not even look like oak (could be because of the knots, not as straight grained as I would think), definetly not red oak because mine is definetly red on the inside. It must be a form of white oak, but the bark does not look like it.

GolfandWoodNut said:
That picture does not even look like oak (could be because of the knots, not as straight grained as I would think), definetly not red oak because mine is definetly red on the inside. It must be a form of white oak, but the bark does not look like it.

+1 thats white oak

That oak in the picture is the burnable kind.........just give it a few years....!!

yeah, thats a red oak,

can't really tell which species from the leaves though - oak leaves can vary so much even within a single tree.

I could go with southern red oak though - those do tend to have the assymetrical lobes. i don't think turkey or cherrybark or whatever someone else mentioned grows as far north as baltimore.

GolfandWoodNut said:

It cannot be a form of white oak. Look closely at the leaf. The red oak family has pointed leaves. The white oak has rounded leaves.

some kind of red oak for sure, but I've never seen rings contrasty like that nor quite as wide. Bark does look a bit like pin oak, though, especially a younger one.
Are those leaves typical of what would have been in the canopy or are they some freaks that didn't grow right along the trunk ? I've seen oaks grow weird leaves on the trunk and at wounds or broken branches.
Sometimes a white oak will grow a whole cluster of huge leaves on the end of a branch. A wind storm usually knocks them down.

Any of the RED OAK tree family has points on the leaves. Now what kind of red oak is a differnt story. Maybe someday when I learn how to post pictures., I will show you the differance. I have a Red Oak, A Pin Oak, swamp oak, white oak all on my little lot.

fespo said:
Any of the RED OAK tree family has points on the leaves. Now what kind of red oak is a differnt story. Maybe someday when I learn how to post pictures., I will show you the differance. I have a Red Oak, A Pin Oak, swamp oak, white oak all on my little lot.

I have all but swamp, and it sure doesn't look like red or pin.

Bark looks like pin oak .... pin oak has pointed leaves . Split looks like red or burr and leaves are rounded on burr. So it must be a ?

I think it's Burr Oak. We have several on our property and they have leaves that look exactly like yours. Our Burr Oaks are young and really do not have any size to them as they are brand new. I planted them about two years ago and now they are about four feet tall. I planted them from seedlings given to me by a friend. They have nuts that are as big as a baseball, about three inches around. They are some kind of special high bred tree and the deer absolutely love the nuts. Interesting to see how all this turns out. David

What difference does it make? Split it, stack it, season it, burn it. In the end, they all become Ash anyway. %-P Rick

My guess is swamp oak which I think is a version of white oak.
Check that, I don't know!

fossil said:
What difference does it make? Split it, stack it, season it, burn it. In the end, they all become Ash anyway. %-P Rick

Point well taken.
I just had not ever come across this kind before.
It does have a lot of knots which is knot much fun splitting by hand.
Not red on the inside at all.
I will post more pictures after I split some more.
Too hot to do now.

Attachments

• IMG00107.jpg
    IMG00107.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG00108.jpg
    IMG00108.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 160
What difference does it make, I don't know I thought we were just shooting the sheit. :lol:

oldspark said:
What difference does it make, I don't know I thought we were just shooting the sheit. :lol:

+100

Captain Hornet said:
I think it's Burr Oak. We have several on our property and they have leaves that look exactly like yours. Our Burr Oaks are young and really do not have any size to them as they are brand new. I planted them about two years ago and now they are about four feet tall. I planted them from seedlings given to me by a friend. They have nuts that are as big as a baseball, about three inches around. They are some kind of special high bred tree and the deer absolutely love the nuts. Interesting to see how all this turns out. David

David, again I do not think this is burr oak because burr oak is in the white oak family. The picture below shows the leaf pattern and notice the rounded lobes.

Burr_Oak_2.gif

Does it matter. Not to the stove or fire but there are plenty of folks on this forum and visitors too who want to learn what different woods look like. This is one way of educating.

Status
Not open for further replies.