1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What kind of oil to use in older snow plow pump?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Jack Straw, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I have a 1985 jeep cj that had a fisher plow on it when I bought it. I removed it to repair the jeep. I am wondering what type of oil to put back into it. It is a full hydraulic (not electric over) and I believe it is a speadcast model. The oil in it looked like ATF. Thanks...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I have no experience with snow plows, but FWIW be careful with ATF. Dextron ATF fluid (also known as Mercon) used to raise heck with a lot of older hydraulic pumps. I would not blindly use ATF in place of hydraulic fluid.
  3. festerw

festerw Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    More than likely it was ATF, you can use that again or a regular hydraulic fluid. I would shy away from a low temp hydraulic fluid in your situation just because it has been known to cause problems in some belt drive setups.

Check out

Let's Talk Snow

or

Plowsite

Plenty of guys still out there using the old bulletproof full hydraulic plows to help you out with any problems.
  4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Man, they have forums for everthing now
  5. Jack33

Jack33 New Member

Loc:
    New Hampshire
    All Fisher belt drive pumps use ATF.
  6. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Yes, just the older style ATF, with a under hood drive you will not need the low temp stuff. Ran the same system on a 87 ford until there was nothing left of the truck. The last storm 3 years back was the last straw, was doing a 150 yard windrow of sticky white stuff when my partner said I looked like an inch worm, frame was giving out. Not cracked or broken any where just rusted thin and flexing badly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.