What kind of oil to use in older snow plow pump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
I have a 1985 jeep cj that had a fisher plow on it when I bought it. I removed it to repair the jeep. I am wondering what type of oil to put back into it. It is a full hydraulic (not electric over) and I believe it is a speadcast model. The oil in it looked like ATF. Thanks...

I have no experience with snow plows, but FWIW be careful with ATF. Dextron ATF fluid (also known as Mercon) used to raise heck with a lot of older hydraulic pumps. I would not blindly use ATF in place of hydraulic fluid.

More than likely it was ATF, you can use that again or a regular hydraulic fluid. I would shy away from a low temp hydraulic fluid in your situation just because it has been known to cause problems in some belt drive setups.

Check out

Let's Talk Snow

or

Plowsite

Plenty of guys still out there using the old bulletproof full hydraulic plows to help you out with any problems.

Man, they have forums for everthing now

Yes, just the older style ATF, with a under hood drive you will not need the low temp stuff. Ran the same system on a 87 ford until there was nothing left of the truck. The last storm 3 years back was the last straw, was doing a 150 yard windrow of sticky white stuff when my partner said I looked like an inch worm, frame was giving out. Not cracked or broken any where just rusted thin and flexing badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.