what kind of silicon to seal ss chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gspro

Dec 12, 2007
Western NY
Is there a special kind of silicon that I should use to seal the liner chimney cap to the masonry chimney? Is that all is needed, or will I have to drill / screw it in to the bricks?

I have the same question about attaching the plate to my clay liner. The instructions say nothing about screwing the plate to the liner only using silicone to attach the plate. This is a ForeEver Flex SS Liner with the Cap/Plate Kit so if anyone has used this or something similiar I would appreciate a word of advice. I plan to install this weekend.

I used GE exterior grade silicon.... My pipe is insulated, some I'm guessing it won't get hot enought to melt the silicone 7" away, but I guess time will tell....

The silicon seals the plate to the chimney, neither of which will get nearly as hot as the actual liner, so regular should do. Screws optional in the plate, but needed to secure the cap so it can be removed for sweeping (as mentioned above).

Status
Not open for further replies.