What kind of stove is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apeachey

Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I got an old wood stove from a friend and it has no markings on it saying who made it or what model it is. It's a bit rusty and if it needs any replacement parts I wouldn't even know where to look.
The little hole in the side goes into the firebox. Does that need a cover that opens and closes or should it be open all the time?
Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 154
I'm wondering if that hole is for shaking down clinkers. Is there a shaker grate in the stove? If so it's a coal burner.

I'm wondering if that hole is for shaking down clinkers. Is there a shaker grate in the stove? If so it's a coal burner.
You're probably right. My friend forgot the inside parts when he brought it, but he said he would get me them this week so I'll check that out.
Do you have any idea what brand of stove it is?
And if it is a coal burner, can you still burn wood in it?

If it is a true coal burner is will do a much better job at burning coal than wood. The air supply is different. You might try asking over on the coal forum to see if it's recognized. www.nepacrossroads.com

Status
Not open for further replies.