What kind of Tree is this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajreid

Nov 16, 2010
il
Here is whats strange, it had these kind of leaves on top of the tree.

IMG_20130822_132433-M.jpg

These kind of leaves at he base.

IMG_20130822_132444-L.jpg

Here are the splits.

IMG_20130822_132517-L.jpg

IMG_20130822_132536-L.jpg

I was thinking red oak by the leaves on the top, but the leaves on the lower part of the tree were more rounded. This tree was half dead. looked like lightning may have hit it by the looks of the bark down one side.

i second your red oak thinking. did it split easily? not stringy? Have a odor to it?

Reactions: smokinj
Black Oak would be my guess, virtually the same as Red, but there are some others in that group that are similar, like Scarlet Oak, so unless I saw the bark on different parts of the trunk and more leaves in person, Black is just a guess.

Split, stack and forget about it for a couple of years. ==c

Definitely red oak, The reason for the different look in the leaf is from that lightning strike and that the tree was half dead.

Black oak, Q. velutina.
Leaves have fewer lobes than red oak and are very shiny on top. Yellow inner bark is diagnostic.
Most oaks have leaves that vary on the same tree, depending on sun vs. shade.
As firewood, all those pointy-leaved oaks are alike.

Reactions: ScotO
Looks like a black oak to me as well but ,anyways its oak ..burns great ! Split and stack A.S.A.P 2 yrs dry time 3 yrs primo;)

I also say Black Oak. The leaves in the first picture appear rather thick and shiny, which is characteristic of Black Oak. Red Oak leaves are thinner and less shiny. Like Brewmonster says, the orange inner bark is diagnostic for Black Oak.

Reactions: Brewmonster
Status
Not open for further replies.