What Kind of Tree is This?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famer

Aug 18, 2008
NJ
I live in NJ and some people call this tree a Scrub Oak and others have referred to it as a Pine Oak. Can anyone tell me what it is and whether it's OK to burn? I'm hoping it's OK to burn, because I just cleared an area in the back yard for the kids to play and I have a decent amount of it cut and split.

Thanks!

Attachments

• LogPic1.JPG
    LogPic1.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 574
I agree. If it's seasoned to 20% moisture or less, burn it. The only 2 exceptions that I can think of is wood with a poison ivy vine really stuck into the bark and posion sumac (flowers are light green).

Famer said:
I live in NJ and some people call this tree a Scrub Oak and others have referred to it as a Pine Oak. Can anyone tell me what it is and whether it's OK to burn? I'm hoping it's OK to burn, because I just cleared an area in the back yard for the kids to play and I have a decent amount of it cut and split.

Thanks!
any kind of oak works well but as a guess red oak

looks like a "firewood tree" definately burn it and it seems like if everyones calling it some type of oak it should be some darn good firewood.

Could be oak from the pic andit will be dry enough to burn in about a year, if you cut it down this weekend.

Make a fresh cut on the end, split a piece, take a picture (it's too weathered to see Heartwood/sapwood.) Give it a smell also.......

WoodButcher

Looks like 2009/2010 wood if you split and stack it.

I dunno-but looks like you have killed it :lol:

White oak, pin oak, I call it good BTU with quite a familiar stank when its fresh.
Nuttin like the stank of fresh cut or split oak mmmm mmmm good.
Smells like my socks after standing in the river all day fishing with my boots on ;)
Stink, stank, stunk, its good stuff.

Looks like white oak to me, but when Lees Wood Company responds simply "sugar maple," you gotta believe he may knoweth what he speaketh...

Status
Not open for further replies.