What kind of tree is this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Besides for big? Just wondering if it's worth trying to pick up.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 602
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 596
I think it's black gum if I had to guess. I just cut and split 2 cords of black gum this week and stacked it tonite. I know black gum has dark green crunchy leaves. The inside is alot darker then what I just cut. for a lighter wood it black gum burns really good in my opinion. Real stringy grains, good for longer burns. Some people complain about splitting it but my 27 ton tore it up without blinking. As far as picking it up, even if I am wrong about the gum I'd still say it's a winner.

That looks a lot like fresh cut black walnut to me. I've been burning mostly black walnut for the last three years. The stuff I have heard of black gum makes me wish I could get a load or two of it but to my knowledge I've never seen it in MI. Probably walked right by it but didn't know what it was. If it is black walnut according to this link http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm it's good for 20.2 million btu's per cord and from the different woods I have burned I think they are pretty close on their numbers. They don't list all the trees though and Gum is one they don't list.

My first guess is also walnut but I've no experience with gum, other than chewing some on occasion.

i would go get and split and stack take another pic and we will guess again ;0

Thats Walnut. Crime to cut it up into firewood like that... Look at my avitar, two Walnut logs in the back of my old truck, their drying in my yard for the past few years, getting sawn into lumber this Summer.

Edit: oops- Truck avitar is a different forum.

Ya Know, the limitations on images for this forum are really irritating sometimes. I have to edit them six different ways from Sunday just to post one dam image.

Attachments

• DSCN0024.jpg
    DSCN0024.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 503
Walnut. Black Gum is a pale wood inside.

JerseyWreckDiver said:
Ya Know, the limitations on images for this forum are really irritating sometimes. I have to edit them six different ways from Sunday just to post one dam image.
Get yourself setup with Picasa. It's free, easy, and not full of adware. You can use your gmail account to logon so fewer passwords to manage.

To burn or not to burn hmmmm :)

Oh man, it would have been worth so much more cut for lumber. That's sad. Currently almost $4 a board foot for medium grade. Enjoy it, it's like burning stacks of dollar bills.

madrone said:
Oh man, it would have been worth so much more cut for lumber. That's sad. Currently almost $4 a board foot for medium grade. Enjoy it, it's like burning stacks of dollar bills.

I didn't cut it but since it's cut I guess I'll take it. I assume it doesn't have much worth for lumber the way it's cut now?

rdust said:
...I assume it doesn't have much worth for lumber the way it's cut now?

Not for dimensional lumber, no...but woodturners might be interested in it. Rick

JerseyWreckDiver said:
...Ya Know, the limitations on images for this forum are really irritating sometimes. I have to edit them six different ways from Sunday just to post one dam image.

No need to keep getting frustrated, we really don't talk about dams here much. ;-P Rick

would make some nice bowls etc. Id check around for buyers before you split it.

Good idea. Those largest rounds would make a lot of nice bowls, or boxes. If you make the right connection, you could trade wood for some of the finished wares. If I weren't a couple thousand miles away I'd make you an offer.

fossil said:
JerseyWreckDiver said:
...Ya Know, the limitations on images for this forum are really irritating sometimes. I have to edit them six different ways from Sunday just to post one dam image.

No need to keep getting frustrated, we really don't talk about dams here much. ;-P Rick

:cheese: - Wiseguy...

The shorts can still be valuable. Bowl Blanks, turners blanks, gunstocks, carvers,... If they've been cut up for a while already they may already be checking (cracking) on the ends, you need to coat them with something to slow the drying as soon as possible, old latex paint works well for this, melted parrafin wax or coating made for the purpose.

I'd love to chuck a hunk of that up on my lathe. Rick

Thank for the correction. Wow walnut!! maybe a woodworker could also use it for inlays too.

Status
Not open for further replies.