what kind of tree is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason acorns a bigger than usual this yr.

Thats a nice State Park there where you live, and pretty country, I lived in Calara Al for a few yrs.
Yeah state park is ~9mi up the road I'm backed up to the talladega nat'l forest so it's all the same except i can can carry and hunt on nat'l forest - not so up on the top of the mountain

I'd send you some nuts from either of the walnut and hickory on my property - don't know if they are the varities hardy in Maine though.

I'd send you a few bushels of white oak acorns if needed as well, oh and this winter I'd be happy to send the bushels of sweetgum balls that I'll clean from the yard;)

We actually have white oak up here as well as the red oak . . . just not on my property.

And if you are serious . . . and no one further north volunteers . . . I'll take you up on the offer of the walnuts and hickory . . . although I would need to also know how to start them (i.e. if they need to be separated from a husk, let over-winter before planting, etc.)

Jake I'd be happy to send you some.
The walnuts aren't dropping yet, but when rake the frontyard I'll water test some hickory nuts and set the good ones aside.
They have deep tap roots so need to be started in cardboard qt/half gallon milk containers, I'm sure 2liter bottles would work as well. There are some good threads on gardenweb about it.

Shagbark with some nasty vine growing on it, if you want to be real precise...:p

Poision ivy would be my guess....Done one just like that and got poision ivy the next time I wore the sweat shirt. ;)

Poision ivy would be my guess....Done one just like that and got poision ivy the next time I wore the sweat shirt. ;)

The vine doesn't appear to have the aerial rootlets that are usually all over Poison ivy stems, making PI look shaggy.

The vine doesn't appear to have the aerial rootlets that are usually all over Poison ivy stems, making PI look shaggy.

It's not poison ivy - it is a flowering vine of some sort, and is so wrapped in the tree that its "trunk" is probably 3-4 inches thick and looks like wood. The flowers are yellow and I'd have guessed honeysuckle except there's no cloying scent to it. If I can get through the firebush at the base of the tree I'll try to reach some of the vine leaves/flowers for a pic. (Firebush is a beastly wood to go through in short sleeves, IMO....)

Hickory with a vine scares me! Wash sweat shirt before useing it again...;) I am the Only person I know that got PI in Feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.