What kind of truck do they use to deliver logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

336mlk

Oct 31, 2015
NJ
Hello, I just bought a house with an OWB and have been looking at prices for delivered wood. There is a place I found in NJ that will deliver logs in the equivalent of 6-7 cords for cheaper than if they split it for you. My question is that sounds like a lot of logs. Does any one know roughly how many logs that might be and more importantly typically what type of truck does these deliveries? I want to make sure it can go up my driveway and into my back yard because I'm sure I would not want to have them just dump that much wood in my driveway ;)

My aunt has a OWB and they use 10+ cord and a guy in Indiana that I know real well - He uses 25 cord a year and don't burn till house gets to 58 in the house. Aunts house is about 2000 square feet and the other one is a large log home -guess about 3500 square feet. And just though of another one just out side of town here and they use about 15-18 cord. If it was me I would get more than 1 truck load. Then order for next year to get ahead.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Try and be home when it gets delivered. We had our driveway blocked for a couple days b/c this happened to us. Stuff was split, but you'd be surprised how long it takes to move it into the racks, especially in the dark! :cool:

Do you guys know if it is like a semi truck or a pickup truck?
1 cord is 4' x 4' x 8'. 6 cords would be 24' x 4' x 8' (or some combination of that equalling 768 cubic feet).

It's likely to weigh around 20,000 to 24,000 lbs.

So yeah...a lot bigger than a pick-up..

I would imagine it's going to come in a dump truck, like this.

TruckFirewoodSize_full.jpeg

That looks more like it.

Reactions: bad news
This how mine come
View attachment 165933
between 7 and 8 cords in 20 ft. lengths
I cut my own then have them delivered
some guys sell in 8 ,12 or 16 ft lengths

Yes, at 6-7 cords it sounds like a tree service with a grapple truck. A full load from the guy who has been supplying me is usually 30 pieces of wood in varying diameter and length.

Depending on your yard/driveway setup you might find that if the guy has his boom mounted on the rear he can reach pretty far behind and still make the delivery.

Fully loaded grapple trucks like to stay on hard packed surfaces that are relatively flat, they are top heavy, the drivers don't want to keep changing there pants on every delivery

some of the straight log trucks by us have 6 wheel drive and can go off road to an extent but if your yard is soft at all you wont have much of a yard left.

Prices here are 100$ per cord for logs. Logs aren't coming in a pickup. I've bought logs from dump trailers (about a cord per dump) pulled by a pickup and dump trucks (about 4 cords, some folks call these triaxles) but if you're getting 6 or 7 cords then you can expect something with a grapple and most likely a semi tractor front end. Full log truck loads out west where we use real log trucks are 7-10 cords per.

Yes 6 to 7 cords will come on a straight tri axle log truck with a grapple.

A buddy bought a load of logs this summer that was claimed to yield up to 10 cords. It was delivered on a log truck with a grapple.
Last summer, my neighbor bought a couple loads of logs that yielded about 5 cords each. They were delivered in a dump truck.

This load split out to 6.5 cords. Took me nine calendar days to get the logs bucked to 16" rounds and out of the driveway. First of two truckloads of sawdust pictured as well...

logload.JPG
driveway.JPG
sawfust.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.