What kind of wall clearances did you go with?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailrace

Sep 25, 2007
Bullville NY
Ok, so now I've got my permit and I'm picking my Englander pellet stove up tomorrow, finally! I'm also going to be building my hearth tomorrow, and I was curious to see how many of you went with the minimum clearances to walls and for the size of the hearth pad and how many went over. The model I'm getting says the minimum wall clearance is 6" from each side and 6" from the back to wallpaper, drywall, or paneling. Also, the minimum requirement for the hearth pad is 31"X32". I'm planning on making my hearth 35"X35" and clipping the front corners, and I'm considering raising the hearth off the floor about 9" or so. I'll be building it with 2X10's, 3/4" cdx, durorock, ceramic tile, and some nice 1X12 oak for the front and sides, finished with three coats of poly. This is starting to get fun, and I'd like to hear what everyone else did.

i kicked all of mine up a bit. as soon as the inspector took the first measurement he was done. he was impressed that i had gone a little extra and seemed confedent that the rest of the install was on par.

Sounds like it will be beautiful. I am in the process of doing almost the same exact thing. I am getting a wood stove so my hearth will be 60" wide x 52" deep with the corners clipped. I am builing up just the back area of the hearth where the stove will sit, so the front part of the hearth will be about the same height as the rest of the floor. This will add another dimension which should look nice (I hope) and it will also make it much easier for loading. I am building the stove area up about a foot.

I would go a bit bigger on the area of the hearth if I were you. I think it looks a lot nicer, but that's just my opinion. Good luck. Definitely post some pictures!

Let me make a suggestion: layout your tile an with grout lines or spacers and figure your final dementions that way design it so that you don't have to cut the tile.

If it is beyond the minimum distances then it is ok to use wood trim to dress up the ends. There is no penalty for exceeding the minimums only added safety

elkimmeg said:
There is no penalty for exceeding the minimums only added safety
Added safety, and looks, is what I was after! My buddy gave me a hearth pad that he had gotten when he bought his stove and I was going to use it, but after looking at it for a few days now I decided to build my own and make it "fit' my stove. I'm pretty anal about things looking just right, I'm a finish carpenter by trade, and I really like being creative. This is going to be a fun project, and I'll post some pics when I get her all done. Driftwood...your hearth and mantle look great! Anybody else have any pics they would like to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.