What kind of winter is projected this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Was wondering what sort of long range projections folks have been seeing for this winter and what web sites have info on them?

HI,

IN our local paper (upstate NY) they said it was going to be mild.

Good for all of us.

Niels

I was thinking that i would build a new acrylic aquarium and stand. I have a perfect corner for a 24x24x24 mini reef :)
PROJECTED not Project. I need more caffine.
Winter, predicted to be wet! Waiting for a big snow storm to hit today supposed to get at least a foot.

Cold with snow, freezing rain

Call on me in April and I'lll know for sure.

I'm still waiting for the heavy hurricane season that was predicted last spring.

I heard warmer than normal through December, then "colder than normal with more snow," January & Feb. And around here, my friends, that's cold.

carpniels said:
HI,

IN our local paper (upstate NY) they said it was going to be mild.

Good for all of us.

Niels

BeGreen said:
I'm still waiting for the heavy hurricane season that was predicted last spring.

I know it. What a joke the mainstream media is trying to keep all the sheeple terrified. Then you have the morons from TWC chasing a cane' out in Nova Scotia earlier this season

"prepare for the worst, hope for the best" Always count on getting record snow and staying below 0 for weeks on end.

The wooly worms in my garden have very little dark brown on their front and none on the tail.
I believe that means an early start to the winter but very mild and long.
This method has been as accurate as any I have ever heard of and is accepted as in this area.

homefire said:
The wooly worms in my garden have very little dark brown on their front and none on the tail.
I believe that means an early start to the winter but very mild and long.
This method has been as accurate as any I have ever heard of and is accepted as in this area.

I am waiting to see if the massive acorn drop means a cold winter theory.

I am waiting to see if the massive acorn drop means a cold winter theory.

A lot of people in this neck of the woods are saying the same thing. All the trees seem to be making a ton of seeds this year.

Just like the professional weather people (how's that for being PC), we'll know in spring!

Out on the smoking deck watching a squirrel - picks up a nut and eats it- guy next to me says -gonna be a mild winter, I'm like HUH? He says yeah that squirrel should be hiding that nut instead of eating it. Hmmm, whats he know that i don't ?

hardwood715 said:
Out on the smoking deck watching a squirrel - picks up a nut and eats it- guy next to me says -gonna be a mild winter, I'm like HUH? He says yeah that squirrel should be hiding that nut instead of eating it. Hmmm, whats he know that i don't ?

How to speak Squirrelese. ;)

PAJerry said:
Ask the folks in Buffalo!!!

We got 2 feet of snow last Thursday the most ever recorded for October in like 180 years, Massive power outages; mine finally came on Last night but many more are still without. If this early storm is any indication of the weather we can expect this winter look out.

I was just thankful for my wood stove, it kept my house nice and toasty over the four days without power while others had to deal with seeing there breath inside there homes.

Wooly Bears are saying the same thing in my neck of the woods. Accuweather has their prediction out later this week.

Matt

Gibbonboy said:
hardwood715 said:

How to speak Squirrelese. ;)

Maybe he was just hungry ;)

The squirrels around here this year are big enough to put a saddle on and ride. Dad use to say big fat squirrels= bad winter.

earthharvester said:
The squirrels around here this year are big enough to put a saddle on and ride. Dad use to say big fat squirrels= bad winter.

This ties into the the big acorn drop. "Lets get fat a sh%& because everything is gonna be buried in ice in another month or two"

Is that Squirillese?

I know one thing, the last acorn drop like this was one cold ass winter. I was in WV and it was the top 5 snowiest winters.

It's just like patio furniture in the spring. If you just plunked down a few grand on a new woodstove this year, it'll be 50 degrees all winter. Heh Heh Heh. We're in a weak El Nino for awhile. Probably not too cold a winter as a result. Don't try to convince the folks in Buffalo of that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.