What kind of wood comes from an acorn tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Acorn yields will vary year to year. I have read these variations are by design so that the animals can't develop a routine that consumes all the nuts. Some years almost none, some a glut. Glut years are seedling bearing as not all the nuts are consumed.

Heavy mast years will overwhelm the acorn eaters so that some will survive and produce trees.

Heavy mast years will overwhelm the acorn eaters so that some will survive and produce trees.

The squirrels at my house live good and did a great job of cleaning up good.
I started this thread because I got acorns from this tree I got cut down recently, the estimator, called it a maple, then my friend said it wasn't oak when he saw the wood split. I was sure it was an oak but then questioned it with these two other views being out there.
Now, to the idiot poster, that's not very nice, my understanding was this is a great place to live and learn about a common hobby, passion or addiction. I'm sorry your bitter, I understand and I'm sorry...

What did I say? I was just talking about why some years have acorn years and others don't. Maybe I missed something...

Never mind I think you were talking to bluedogz.

What did I say? I was just talking about why some years have acorn years and others don't. Maybe I missed something...

Never mind I think you were talking to bluedogz.
Nothing buddy, you answered the question perfectly, thanks for doing so...
The squirrels shouldn't get them all

The squirrels are out to get me :eek: ;lol
Oak tree hanging over deck ,grilling on the grill,dodging acorns the squirrels are dropping, hit me right on top of head with a cluster of acorns once,ouch

Reactions: raybonz
At the same time, it turns out there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
What exactly do you mean by this? I see nothing wrong with this thread and some folks may have been raised in a city and simply not know what others considered inherent knowledge.

Ray

What exactly do you mean by this? I see nothing wrong with this thread and some folks may have been raised in a city and simply not know what others considered inherent knowledge.

Ray

Nothing at all.... there isn't a thing wrong either with this thread or anyone participating in it.
For background, I've spent the last ten years in a "service" role taking calls from people who would ask questions like, "I just got a letter from your company. What does it say?" and "If I close my account, will there be any money left in it?" (seriously)
I just have a peeve against telling (kids especially) that "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask" when what I would like them taught is "the only dumb question is the one you don't seek an answer to."
That said, there ain't much better place to seek an answer about trees than here. (And us city boys had oak trees too!)
Thus endeth my admittedly insignificant opinion.

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.