What kind of wood is this. I think/hope is ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseykat1

Dec 19, 2010
North NJ
Can anyone identify this type of wood? f459be743bad7d6346c2b4352f4b8363.jpg

Looks a lot like cottonwood to me. Thick, deeply furrowed bark and the wood looks soft...

Just to clarify, I'm primarily judging this based on an end-shot of the bark. We would need closer and more clear pictures of the wood grain and the bark to make an accurate determination.

Looks like Siberian Elm to me.

I don't think it is Ash. The barks looks like Cottonwood or Chestnut Oak, both of which have very thick, deeply furrowed bark. However, the wood doesn't look like Chestnut Oak so Cottonwood seems the most likely answer.

Its a softwood, those growth rings and that rough surface cut are like pine - but the bark isnt like our northern pine.

I havnt a clue what species the wood is.

bob

Big Tooth Aspen?
I have trees here that size, also White Poplar. They get huge here.
Its not Chestnut Oak, I have those here too.
Big Tooth Aspen bark gets really furrowed at the base when it reaches 24"+

Well whatever it is I'm not going back for more of it. Now that I know its a soft wood I feel like I wasted my time. And I still have to split it.

Well whatever it is I'm not going back for more of it. Now that I know its a soft wood I feel like I wasted my time. And I still have to split it.
Softwood certainly has it's place in wood stacks. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much. It wasn't a waste of time...

I Picked up more stuff today. I believe it's either black locust or mulberry. I have difficulty distinguishing between the two.

Much better haul this time. Black Locust 100%. It may be time to think about a pickup truck or trailer?

Reactions: jerseykat1
I'll go back for more later. They are clearing out a lot of trees. In an apartment complex near my house. So there is new stuff every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.