What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Can anyone help identifying what kind of wood is this? Good for burning?

Attachments

• firewood 007.JPG
    firewood 007.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 351
  • firewood 003.JPG
    firewood 003.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 324
I can't tell. Looks to be a hardwood,maybe beech or apple. My guess is that it is pretty good, better than pine and worse than oak.
How much of it do you have?

Lower right 2 pieces are cherry. Get as much as you can :)

The rest could be, too. Hard for me to tell from the pic.

I can't tell. Looks to be a hardwood,maybe beech or apple. My guess is that it is pretty good, better than pine and worse than oak.

I am not good with judging volume without splitting and stacking them, from the second pix in original pix, what would you say, about 1.5 cord, may be?

How does it smell??

Second pic could be soft Maple. If so, it dries quick. I would grab all of that wood. Might be around a cord, all told.

Reactions: baseroom
Definitely cherry in the first pic. Not sure if it's all cherry.

1st pic looks like cherry to the left and some kind of birch to the right. 2nd pic looks like some kind of pine. Especially, since there is nothing but pines in the background. Hell, i'd still take it all :)

I will be bring my beloved weapon of choice: Fiskar X27 and probably renting a 20" chainsaw from HD to split them. As the place is about 1.5hr drive one way, that doesn't leave me a lot of time to split on site. Thinking probably will get the saw to halved or thirded the bigger ones for easier stacking in the car. I'm open to any suggestions to process them a little faster but yet safely. Thanks!

1st pic: I see some cherry . . . hard to see, but possibly a round of white birch (it's a bit hard to tell with the angle of the wood) and possibly some other wood species there . . . looks like a real grab bag of wood.

2nd pic: Guessing it's a maple of some sort.

First picture is black cherry, though one of the logs almost looks like black birch.

Second picture looks like maple.

All are great firewood.

2nd picture is definitely silver maple. You don't even need to use your saw to half the big ones. Just take your Fiskar and whack a few times, they split very nicely.

Reactions: Clyde S. Dale
A 3 hour drive round trip. Call it 180 miles. At 50 cents/mile, avg cost these days, it will cost you 90 bucks just to drive over there.
If you can't haul it all in one trip you are hitting the point of diminshing returns on that wood.

I got one truckload of cherry one time. Nice straight grained, the main trunk, about a 20 inch tree. I split it by hand with the fierce Monster Maul and that stuff gave me an ass-whipping. No more cherry splitting for me.
I hope you have a different species of cherry, or else, you are a 325 pound linebacker for the Jets. I am 6 3 and 225 and I swing a mean Monster Maul.

Reactions: excessads
A 3 hour drive round trip. Call it 180 miles. At 50 cents/mile, avg cost these days, it will cost you 90 bucks just to drive over there.
If you can't haul it all in one trip you are hitting the point of diminshing returns on that wood.

I got one truckload of cherry one time. Nice straight grained, the main trunk, about a 20 inch tree. I split it by hand with the fierce Monster Maul and that stuff gave me an ass-whipping. No more cherry splitting for me.
I hope you have a different species of cherry, or else, you are a 325 pound linebacker for the Jets. I am 6 3 and 225 and I swing a mean Monster Maul.
Simonkenton: I was doing the same exact calculation in my head earlier today. You are absolutely right, at that rate, we will be breaking even. We do have gas heat, so it wont be our primary source of heat. Having 3/4 of a cord splitted from a 30ft birch recently brought down, plus the fireplace clay liners need repair also. Why not get a woodstove insert? That's happening next week (good timing w the 70f weather, isnt it?). On top of everything, got hook up with the pile in pictures. I honestly think I like splitting, (I found it relaxing) and it's such good workout. Still can't get enough of the popping sound from a clean split....Hi......Ya! Or Bon......Zai! Even at fair cord price, I still find it a lot of fun, haha. I m a grown man in case you can't tell.

I will be bring my beloved weapon of choice: Fiskar X27 and probably renting a 20" chainsaw from HD to split them. As the place is about 1.5hr drive one way, that doesn't leave me a lot of time to split on site. Thinking probably will get the saw to halved or thirded the bigger ones for easier stacking in the car. I'm open to any suggestions to process them a little faster but yet safely. Thanks!

1.5 hours, near 90 miles? That's halfway through NJ traveling NS and would put you into PA if you were driving EW. You shouldn't need to go anywhere near that far for wood in this state, that is if you have to go anywhere at all. I guess that you probably live in a more densely populated surburban area as you say that you have natural gas. Try making friends with the local tree services. I'm in Bergen county and have been getting all my wood from tree services for the past 15+ years. Delivered and free. I would guess that load there is a homeowner not wanting to pay for disposal, you shouldn't be the one to haul it for him, especially if it's 90 miles.

Spoke w a few tree guys used before, they all have chippers behind their trucks, and would opt for chipping rather than transporting. You are lucky to made friends around you. Bulk of the places surrounding selling for 175 n up per cord, there are two other piles of maples not shown in original pix. All and all, close to 1.5 cord plus we will get a good workout!

3 hours driving 132 miles + 6 gallons of gas + 3 hours splitting with a good old american wedge and an 8lb Hart sledgehammer = 1-1/4 cord stacked. Still, we left about a cord there as the tires were close to rubbing the wheelwell. Not a bad day at all!

Attachments

• cord splitted.jpg
    cord splitted.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.