What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Ryan

Mar 17, 2008
Long Island NY
Picked this wood up a few month ago around the corner. It has a very distinct yet unfamiliar smell. It has small bumps and when i got it, it had no bark.

Attachments

• P1040284b.jpg
    P1040284b.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 636
  • P1040285a.jpg
    P1040285a.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 627
  • P1040290a.jpg
    P1040290a.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 635
The split you show looks like Black walnut but the round shown looks like red elm. If it splits easy it's walnut, if it very stringy it elm.

I'll guarandadburnteeya it's walnut, black walnut.

It's been sittin in the woods for quite a spell, or layin somewhere in the weather, startin to get punky on the outer edge, also, that's the reason the split is kinda discolored.

I don't know too much, but I do know I got 2 acres of a near pure stand of black walnut I've been nurturin' for about 30 years, and what ya got there is walnut, hands down, fer sure, without doubt, most definately, no denyin it :):):)

if you got all that black walnut and it is straight, you could be a rich man!!

skinnykid said:
if you got all that black walnut and it is straight, you could be a rich man!!

Uh, yaya, that's the idea. I noticed when I was about 18 that all these walnuts were emerging in an area left to grow up after being pasture for some time.

Anyway, I cleared every species of tree but walnut, and thinned the ones that were left. Believe it or not, they ain't ready for loggin' yet, some are maybe 16in dbh, I'm guessin.

btw, I'm 49 now :) Don't know if I'll live long enough to sell 'em off, but hey, trees are investments in the future eh?

One thing to add, the number of actual walnuts that came off these trees this year was amazing, a bumper crop for sure.

FYI--- The walnuts that come off that tree will stain your skin for days! I picked one up that a squirrel had been chewing on. It made my hand look like I just rubbed on some cheap tanning cream. So for anyone looking for a cheap tanning cream send your address with money for postage and I will mail you some late next summer!

i vote walnut

Adios Pantalones said:
I will guess eithe Lignum Vitae or butternut squash.

Darn it! You beat me to the squash guess! I was thinking that's what the distinct smell was. Hate the stuff!!

I've never seen a mature black walnut. Help plant about 250 saplings a couple of years ago.

flyingcow said:
Adios Pantalones said:
I will guess eithe Lignum Vitae or butternut squash.

Darn it! You beat me to the squash guess! I was thinking that's what the distinct smell was. Hate the stuff!!

I've never seen a mature black walnut. Help plant about 250 saplings a couple of years ago.

The sure do stink to high heaven when cutting them. My lawnmower likes to spit the walnut (plumb size ball for those who don't know what they look like) out like a major league fastball. Still waiting to break a window with one!

Bubbavh said:
FYI--- The walnuts that come off that tree will stain your skin for days! I picked one up that a squirrel had been chewing on. It made my hand look like I just rubbed on some cheap tanning cream. So for anyone looking for a cheap tanning cream send your address with money for postage and I will mail you some late next summer!

I hope that's not because the squirrel swallowed it whole first before you got a holt of it.

Yep, the green, spongy, outer shell of the black walnut is very pungent. It is kind of yellowish inside. It turns black in a couple days after the nut falls from the tree. We put 'em in the stone driveway and drive over 'em, this smashes the outer shell, an in a couple days to a week it dries up, leaving just the VERY HARD walnut....ya almost need a hammer to break into it.

This very hard black walnut, without the outer husk, is worth about 10$ per hundred pounds....I don't know for sure how many you need for a hundred pounds of 'em, but my guess would be 6 or 8 five gallon buckets full.

One more thing, I was weed whackin' one time oh, about 10 years ago or so, and it was fall, and I hit one of them nasty green walnut husks, and it threw a hunk of that stuff into my eye......that resulted in a trip to the ER.....seems the tannins/chemicals in the husk are fairly potent :bug:

Bubbavh said:

I use walnuts to dye traps. Works great.

I think split black-walnut smells good. Sure I'm not lining any closets in the stuff, but still, I like it. I burnt about a face cord of the stuff two years ago. My neighbor got the trunk for the price of removal. (the tree fell just before I bought the house, so that was the POs doing). My neigbor has a CNC machine and makes these fancy guitars (and cabinets and whateverelse you may want), so he was happy to get the nice wood.

Funny thing about walnut is how they used to treat it as a weed (and it kinda is by some accounts) in this area. Now walnut is all the rage for furniture and whatnot.

My walnut took forever to dry (even split). so check it before you burn it. A good split of it weighs a ton and seems to burn forever. you'll like it.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Bubbavh said:

What are you trapping?

Bubbavh said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
Bubbavh said:

What are you trapping?

Nothing now ,fur market took a dump right along with the stock market.

Status
Not open for further replies.