What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
got a nice score today, and tommarow, not sure what kinda of wood it is, but there is alot of it, im pretty sure some of it is silver maple, any ideas? it splits fairly easy and is somewhat shiney

Im guessing its worth going back for a few more loads, but the next few loads will require alot more lugging to the truck so i want to make sure its worth it!

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• small0001.jpg
    small0001.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 415
  • small0005.jpg
    small0005.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 420
  • small0006.jpg
    small0006.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 420
Could be norway.

Looks like tulip to me.

oldspark said:
ApproximateLEE said:
I'll kiss your coldNH azz ifn it ain't ash!
I'm with him!

+2 looks just like the ash in my pile , go back and get it all one of the best woods you can find.

I think it is Ash. I guess it could also be Norway Maple, which I have trouble telling apart from ash on the internet.

Hmmm, im tempted to think its norway maple, but i have no clue, total newb wood burner/ scrounger here.

It did look like there was some silver maple in the the pile, but ash trees are pretty common up here as well.

Is norway maple a good burning hardwood or considered a soft wood?

ColdNH said:
Hmmm, im tempted to think its norway maple, but i have no clue, total newb wood burner/ scrounger here.

It did look like there was some silver maple in the the pile, but ash trees are pretty common up here as well.

Norway Maple is a hardwood and it's not bad for fuelwood.

You can tell that it's Ash because it has that two-tone color discoloration in it-see how some of the wood looks "shaded" in the split grain-Ash does that, why I don't know. Ash has a nice, smooth straight grain like your splits do. And look at a cutside of any round; Ash always seems to have a little round hole in the center of the cutside. I'm sure that other trees have this, but I don't see it very often, but I do see it on Ash.

ColdNH said:

You may have maple in the top left of the first pic but pic 2 and 3 are definetLEE ash.

ApproximateLEE said:

lol ash it is!

Sometimes partially rotten norway could look like that.

After this year, most should definitely be able to tell a ash from any other tree.

Another thing most need to know is that while ash does split easy after cut into firewood lengths, beware because it can also split real easy while felling the tree. That can be a bit dangerous. And of course, that is also why they usually don't cut ash into 2x4's and such; they will split on the ends really easy.

Backwoods Savage said:
After this year, most should definitely be able to tell a ash from any other tree.

Another thing most need to know is that while ash does split easy after cut into firewood lengths, beware because it can also split real easy while felling the tree. That can be a bit dangerous. And of course, that is also why they usually don't cut ash into 2x4's and such; they will split on the ends really easy.

lol ash and tulip look a lot alike to me in pics...silver maple and white oak can look just alike in a pic's as well. pignut hickory can look like a white oak to me as well. Now if I was the one cutting I can tell more by the way it cuts than the way it looks.

Most definitely ASH. Split a load this AM & lots to go. Its almost all I burn.

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

lol ash and tulip look a lot alike to me in pics...silver maple and white oak can look just alike in a pic's as well. pignut hickory can look like a white oak to me as well. Now if I was the one cutting I can tell more by the way it cuts than the way it looks.

I agree, with some of those woods they are similar enough the pictures don't always show what's what's and sometimes the pics are not super clear but I am still amazed how most wood is identified. This has been pretty helpful to me in IDing my own wood so I can sort it somewhat and keep the best stuff for the really cold weather.

Tony H said:
smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I agree, with some of those woods they are similar enough the pictures don't always show what's what's and sometimes the pics are not super clear but I am still amazed how most wood is identified. This has been pretty helpful to me in IDing my own wood so I can sort it somewhat and keep the best stuff for the really cold weather.

yep I had a 3a license for 10 years and there was a very long section on Id'ing trees and shrubs and I pass for what the state was looking for and there pic's where real bad...but it was the same 20 trees and shrubs that you see every day with leaves so much easier.

Hopefully free! I'd say ash. I've had some Bass wood that looked like that but it's really soft.

JoeD1 said:

Tain't kissin' ass, but I'm with ash! Cheers!

Well if its ash I ended up with 4 truck/ trailer loads of it. There is some oak, black birch and maple mixed in. Mostly four foot lengths that were felled over a year ago. Once split and stacked I'm guessing a solid 2.5 cords. I could have probably made one more trip but my body wasn't up for it. Maybe next week after work. Great score, all free!

ColdNH said:
Well if its ash I ended up with 4 truck/ trailer loads of it. There is some oak, black birch and maple mixed in. Mostly four foot lengths that were felled over a year ago. Once split and stacked I'm guessing a solid 2.5 cords. I could have probably made one more trip but my body wasn't up for it. Maybe next week after work. Great score, all free!

ALL FREE IS THE KEY! Great score.

smokinjay said:
ColdNH said:
Mostly four foot lengths...
ALL FREE IS THE KEY! Great score.
Mostly four footers means you won't have all those random length crooked cuts and leftover chunk wood after recutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.