What Kinda Tree Is This

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Anybody know what kind of tree this is?

Attachments

• What kinda tree.jpg
    What kinda tree.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 978
HotFlame said:
Well I only hope the dude didn't have a chainsaw.

The red chainsaw is falling at about 4 o'clock from the photo center. See it? Looks like he got lucky (if it's a real photo).

I'd say that dude likely called it a day. Maybe a week. :)

Couple years agoi when the big "hurricane" ran thu here we had reports coming for days of people dieing from kickbacks. I've had a few near misses when up a tree. I think I have reached a point where I won't be climbing too many trees with a saw. Leave that for the pros to handle.

Too much heartwood for red oak, IMO. Hickory maybe?

i don't know if i would call that guy lucky.
look at the position of the saws blade.
looks like he is going to land on it.
crack first:(

Yikes! My guess would be he was stretched out from the ladder cutting through the branch that is right above his head. When the saw finally cut through the wood, he suddenly found himself holding a ~13 pound weight at arms length while already overextended from the ladder. Either that or the limb hit the ground and bounced back into the ladder...looks like the two may be in contact at the far left side of the pic.

As for the type of tree. I don't know...heartwood looks pretty dark to be oak and the resolution is just low enough that you can't make out leaves.

Corey

I love that pic .We have that pic at our shop. Dumbass cutting on a ladder.

earthharvester said:
I love that pic .We have that pic at our shop. Dumbass cutting on a ladder.

I use a ladder sometimes. To get the winch cable as high up on the tree as I can. Damned if I am climbing on one with a saw. In fact you couldn't get me up in a tree with a saw any way, any how. I have watched you tree guys do it and that is nuts.

I stand on the ground scared to death for ya. Repeating over and over "911,911,911".

hard to tell from pic but looks like either a black walnut or locust

Status
Not open for further replies.