What kinds of liner wuold you recommend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahela21

Apr 3, 2008
Western MA
I'm slowly preparing to make my final decision abouth a fireplace insert, and was wondering what kind of liner I should install, a flex or solid stainless?
Any specific brands? Any other question I should ask my installer to ensure best installment?

Would need to know more information to make a recommendation. Size of clay tiles ID, height, interior or exterior, condition of current chimney / tiles,.

You should ask the dealer / installer if they will be insulation the liner, and also if they will be installing a block off plate in the smoke shelf / damper area.

I have a working fireplace, chimney cleaned every 2 years.The house is 30 years old with a brick fireplace and chimney placed between the family room and the garage. The family room is one story with attick above it. I don't know what kind of tiles they are and their condition.

You either need to find out then, or have a pro come out and give you recommendations. You can't just go out and a buy a liner and hope it fits down the chimney.

The flex vs solid basically comes down to personal choice. You have to weight the pro's and con's of each and decide.

Solid is pre-insulation sometimes which is nice, also is it smooth inside making it easier to clean. It also would cost at least 50% more than flex. It can be more work to install it.

Flex can be had pretty cheap, and depending on the chimney can be easy to install. The cheap stuff is not as durable as the solid.

when you say cheap? any idea on the cost of a liner kit - the plan is to remove the direct connect and install 25 feet of flex and a cap this year

Status
Not open for further replies.