What leaky door seal on the EKO?? I can't smell a thing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
I think many of us new EKO owners are battling the door seals right now. I had leaks on both the upper and lower doors. On my lower door I actually received the EKO with one of the bolt/threads completely separated from the lower door. So I had a 1/4" hole wide open. So far nothing I've applied to fix this has withstood the temps of the lower door. But I'm still trying. My upper door has been off three or four times with high temp sealant applied everywhere I could find. It's getting better but I'm not odor free yet.

Here is a photo of my current stop-gap. This keeps my home 100% odor free for about $30 from Lowes. I force the EKO fan to suck up the smoke from my still leaky bottom door. And the bathroom fan does a great job of removing the odor given off by the upper door. Nothing says "success" like covering a $7,000 boiler with tin foil, a bathroom fan and duct tape!

3187397529_53d739b420.jpg

Nice! A couple of rockets strapped on the sides, tied into the wood gasification process and you could get lift off. I too installed a heavy duty exhaust fan above mine but I try not to run it all the time. My door seal technique has worked somewhat 95% I would say but would still like to completely eliminate it. I love the way this thing runs even without storage this is the only shortfall thus far. Seems like any easy fix if Orland would listen to implementing a new gasket material.

I turned in the hinges one turn and that stopped it mostly for a while but it came backa gain this week. so I went to home depot and picked up a tube of rutland high temp silicon. I then applied that the the entire gasket and let it dry for 4 hours and we have been odor free ever since. the rtuland silicon was about 9 bucks so it is deffinitly worth a shot. while i was at it I pulled the front cover and put silicon on the 4 bolts and also added it to the bolts that hold on the cover for good measure just to be safe. hope this helps.

Len

Did you buy your boiler from Cozy Heat? I'm curious what "Dave at Cozy Heat" has to say about these odor issues? Isn't he one of the biggest sellers of these units in the US? I'd be a little upset if after spending $7K for a boiler and being forced to apply a band-aid. Are Garn and Wood Gun the only gassers that pull air through the firebox? It appears a positive pressure firebox is difficult to seal properly.

Yes, I still have dreams at night of rutland silicone dancing in my head- the proven stopgap measure or in this instance stop smoke.

so far I have to say rutland rocks! I bought the caulk gun tube so I have plenty left if I need to reapply. I also used rutland gasket adhesive in our wodstove insert on our living room when the darn rope gasket came loose and knock on wood that is still working perfectly also. so 2 thumbs up to rutland for making stuff that actually works as described. deffinitly refreshing to have that occur.

I think what I need to do next is caulk the door WITHOUT shutting it during the cure time. For my first application I put a bead along the door seal and closed the door half-tight with wax paper between the door and the sill. I ended up with some creases in the bead. I think it'll get a lot tighter if I don't shut the door during cure but I think it might just do the trick.

My problem right now is finding 24 hours to let the door dry. No way am I turning my NG furnace back on with the single digit temps coming this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.