What Length of vent pipe outside of house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terryjd98

Jul 1, 2008
Ontario Canada
Hi All
I started installing an Enviro Evolution in Nov. Asked a lot of questions on this forum. Got a hole made through the 14 inch stone wall, got the outside part of thimble installed in the siding. Then had to go for some minor surgery in Dec. Well close to 2 months later I am finally getting back to normal from that minor surgery, at about 75%, hopefully back to work soon, Dang doctor seemed to have been a bit off on the healing time line. Just wanted to let you know about the surgery so if you look back at my posts you will know why the big laps in posts and stall in the install.
So now I am about ready to go back and finish the install. My install is pipe adapter then a T out back of stove, 4 feet up, a 90 then straight out through the wall to the outside. Now the one thing I am not sure about is how far should I go away from the outside wall with the pipe before my terminator. A Foot? A foot and a half? I was going to just go right out the back of stove to the outside but the opinion on this board seemed to be up and out was better so I did.
I have white vinyl siding on the house so I dont want to stop the pipe too close to the house and I dont want to go too far out and lose the natural draft that seemed to be the point of going up and out. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry

woodsman23 said:
18" out from the wall and a 45 degree elbow at the end of pipe pointed down is a great place to be on the outside.
[/quote]considered snow or drips from roof ?[/quote]

That sounds good. I have an adjustable terminator for the end of the pipe that can be streight or pointed down to any angle so can point that down to 45 degrees.
As for drips from the roof the side of the house the pipe is coming out is the side without any eves so drips shouldn't be a problem. Now snow could be a problem that is the windy side. The wind whips down the side of the house from the west or the east storms and that wind can be strong. I guess I will have to try the terminator at 45 degrees and if any problems I can point it down more.
Thanks for the answers
Terry

woodsman23 said:
18" out from the wall and a 45 degree elbow at the end of pipe pointed down is a great place to be on the outside.
about the same here but with the end that can twist straight or 45 degrees down

woodsman23 said:

Works fine for me, Had this setup since 1997-98 heating season.

terryjd98 said:
Hi All
I started installing an Enviro Evolution in Nov. Asked a lot of questions on this forum. Got a hole made through the 14 inch stone wall, got the outside part of thimble installed in the siding. Then had to go for some minor surgery in Dec. Well close to 2 months later I am finally getting back to normal from that minor surgery, at about 75%, hopefully back to work soon, Dang doctor seemed to have been a bit off on the healing time line. Just wanted to let you know about the surgery so if you look back at my posts you will know why the big laps in posts and stall in the install.
So now I am about ready to go back and finish the install. My install is pipe adapter then a T out back of stove, 4 feet up, a 90 then straight out through the wall to the outside. Now the one thing I am not sure about is how far should I go away from the outside wall with the pipe before my terminator. A Foot? A foot and a half? I was going to just go right out the back of stove to the outside but the opinion on this board seemed to be up and out was better so I did.
I have white vinyl siding on the house so I dont want to stop the pipe too close to the house and I dont want to go too far out and lose the natural draft that seemed to be the point of going up and out. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry
Not quite following all your details but take a look at this which shows typical Simpson Vent installations. Perhaps this will help.
http://www.ventingpipe.com/catalogs/Simpson/Pelletvent.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.