what makes a professional?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfooch

Oct 28, 2013
CT
I spoke with my insurance company about installing a new wood stove in my house that came with a bad one. They said if I just left the chimney and connected a new stove I'm fine but if we put a new chimney they wanted it to be a pro job. What constitutes a professional? I've worked construction etc and am sure I'm more than fine but obviously their looking for something. Is it an HVAC cert? Also I have a friend who's a fireman who does the investigations of arsons etc. Is there a paper or a review type thing I can have him come perform to show my job is up to code?

By professional I suspect they want to have a licensed and insured professional, be that an NFI tech, contractor, stove shop, etc.

Does your local jurisdiction require a permit to be pulled and an inspection for a new stove and chimney install? If so, passing and having that signed document should satisfy the insurance company. Worth asking about.

I would go direct to the insurance company with your plans and then have them tell me what they consider to be professional.

If your insurance company is giving you a hassle, try a new insurance company. There are many insurance companies that will work with you, or you can wait until your done and now the work would be considered preexisting.

Seen plenty professionals that do not have a clue about wood stoves, including the inspector that the ins. sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.