What model Husky or Stihl would be appropriate for my needs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*Gasp!* Scotty, is that, no it can't be.... green label chain??!! ;):p==c
Yep, I have a whole rack of 'em. I use them for "iffy" trees, like the black walnut I did that day. It was a yard bird, and I hate smoking a good chain on a yard bird.......

Reactions: onetracker
I think my dad's is an AV model as well. I was talking to him this morning and he thinks he might have actually picked it up in the late 60's. Not sure how far back that model goes back though.
They started making the AV model around 1968 if my memory serves me correctly. The 'Super' didn't come out till around '77. I have three of them. My favorite saw of all time. With the ported muffler on it, there's nothing that sounds as sweet as that torquey saw. I saw one that Mastermind (member over on AS forum) did a Woods port and squish band removal on.....that saw is an animal!

Reactions: ScotO
For a person that just cuts 2-3 cords a year the power and price point of the 290 makes it a great choice.

Best advice so far in this thread. Unless you're hell-bent on buying a big, new, expensive saw, I'd get the 290/291 with an 18" bar and some real chain, and call it a day. Spruce up the 041, too, and keep that around for when the mood strikes. Consider running 3/8" chain on the 290/291 so you can share bars/chains with the 041, also.

Any of the ones you mentioned that start with ST and end with IHL will get your job done. It's just the matter of how much $ you want to spend. They make and sell a TON of 290s for a reason. Unless you have saw envy it shouldn't do you wrong for what you plan to do with it.

Is there much need to tweak any of these saws for elevations 4000 feet and below?

I notice some of the Huskies have this Autotune feature that kind a looks like the old electronic feedback carbs from early 80's pre-EFI cars and thus these aren't really tune-able simply with jet screws. I'd rather I not have to mess with that stuff if I don't have too. I half expect it on the cheaper stuff on the market.

Are the anti-vibration features of both Stihl and Husky about the same? When I look around at people talking about them it looks like Ford/Chevy debate at times.

Where in WA are you?

Agreed it doesn't a have a brake if non-AV. But we're talking bucking logs here - I'm assuming in an open space, how often does anyone engage their brake when doing this?

Mine doesn't have one so I vote never;)

I do like the inertia chain brake engagement on modern saws. The strongest kickback I ever experienced was cutting on a stack of logs. I thought the bar tip was clear, but I didn't see part of a log behind the one I had been cutting. The inertia chain brake engaged as expected--and I then pulled a fresh pair of shorts out my truck's glove compartment.

I know the used marked can be inconsistent, but I'd look for a decent 361 before a buying 290. It will more competently handle 20" and can handle 24" okay (especially in softwoods). It has much better fuel economy, better power, a better stumper (more low end torque), and much better antivibration.

I know the used marked can be inconsistent, but I'd look for a decent 361 before a buying 290. It will more competently handle 20" and can handle 24" okay (especially in softwoods). It has much better fuel economy, better power, a better stumper (more low end torque), and much better antivibration.

It'll run the sh_t out of a 24" bar. No one, and I mean no one runs 036/360/361/362 with a 20" bar in this state.

It'll run the sh_t out of a 24" bar. No one, and I mean no one runs 036/360/361/362 with a 20" bar in this state.

I was waiting for that comment. It certainly is a regional thing. Over here, you almost always see a 20" bar on them. When cutting almost exclusively eastern hardwoods, 20" is the comfort zone here.

stihl_calendar_2004-09.jpg
Start out with something small . . .

Reactions: fox9988 and ScotO
I notice some of the Huskies have this Autotune feature that kind a looks like the old electronic feedback carbs from early 80's pre-EFI cars and thus these aren't really tune-able simply with jet screws. I'd rather I not have to mess with that stuff if I don't have too. I half expect it on the cheaper stuff on the market.
Junk......get a saw with a tune-able carburetor.....

I'm echo fan but that's because I've had great dealers for them, the dealer makes the saw, I'm not the biggest Stilh fans but then I starting to think the ones I've worked with where poorly maintained. Dad's old Mac 10-10 ran circles around my uncle's 290 and everyone said it shouldn't have. My friend has a husky 372xp I think, it's a big 70 cc beast I really liked that saw, but he's has had it back to the pro shop for tune ups. So pick a good dealer the saw will then be right.

Yup,preferably an older one that's built like a brick chithouse.;) That autotune is what's keeping me away from a new Husky 562XP.Well that & barely having 3 spare nickles to rub together right now....lol

My boss has been selling off some of his dad's things now that he lives with him due to current health conditions. He mentioned to me today that he has a low hour Stihl with a 22 inch bar for sale. No idea what model or if bar length is accurate but am going to look at it for sure. I definitely need to see what it is since his dad typically purchased quality items. The last one was a $3K low mileage track drive Honda snowblower (HS1332) that he let go for $250. My jaw dropped.. it was only 3 years old and maybe 20 hours.

Home on west side up north of Everett but have natural gas there. The cabin with the wood stove is above Lake Cle Elum..

Where are you cutting, Snoho or Kittitas? If you're doing most of your cutting in Kittitas I'd go with the 290. If your doing most or even some of your cutting in Snoho I'd pony up for the 362 or 357XP.

I'd go with a 290. In fact, I did. We're not cutting hardwoods around here.

Don't knock it 'till you try it.... >>

Reports from the field are pretty positive for M-Tronic and AutoTune machines. My next new saw stands a damn good chance of being M-Tronic equipped.

I've probably got the same Craftsman saw.....36cc....16 inch bar. Mine is about 7 years old and still cuts pretty good.....do about 5 cord a year. I dropped off my splitter for warranty work, and finally got the wife to consider a upgrade saw. She is okay with the $$$ for the Stihl 290.....dealer recommended the 361, but it's over my budget, so it looks like when I pick up the splitter, I'm also walkin' out with the 290....I hope.....she said "You gotta sell your old one first", I think I've got her convinced having 2 saws is the way to go, plus, what would I get for a good running 7 year old craftsman saw...not much

• I am in decent shape and have good stamina so weight of saw isn't too big of a deal for me.

Stihl 880 Magnum. If you can handle the weight, you might as well have some fun while you're cutting. ==c

I recall another thread last week, where someone mentioned the 290 having one of the poorest power to weight ratios on the market. Untrue?

Don't believe the east-coast hype.

Oh wow big redd: You aint seen nothing to your down on a muffin and a 290 west coast style. Put the 20 inch bar and the FULL SKIPPER ON! And your ready for some red oak! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.