What my Huskee 22 ton WONT split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I have been splitting off and on this morning and found a piece of wood in my pile I bought off a local farmer. It seems the ole Huskee has found its match. The below pictures are the wood I don't know what it is.

Could someone tell me what and why its so tough to split?

Shipper

Attachments

• hard wood_600_450.jpg
    hard wood_600_450.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 954
  • hard wood (1)_600_450.jpg
    hard wood (1)_600_450.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 959
As I have said to many others, it is really hard to tell species let alone genus from a small round with no leaves/nodes or other identifiers, but as a guess and looking at the bark and all those strings I would say some kind of elm. Hey, it IS split, ya just gotta cut all those strings apart.LOL :exclaim: Gotta love that elm, if that's what this is...not. %-P I just got done splitting a bunch of elm and If you add a 6" round about 2-2.5 " to the end on the bottom plate of the splitter, the ram will cut most of those strings.

Id say elm!

My elm will do that sometime...just flip it around, try and align the wedge with the other splits and re-split it from the other side. Yeah it look ugly but still burns well.

Elm! Best way I found to split that crap is to work around the edges, If you go right for the center you get a splintered mess.

I got it split and my huskee is still worth every penny. But it did take me at least 5 mins and changing from one end to another and putting another piece behind it and?????????????????? I would take a pic of it but its in about 10 pieces and stringy as hell.

Shipper :ahhh:

I thought the Mighty Huskee 22 ton would split anything thrown at it???? :lol:

<Ducking and running for cover>

(Discussion from a past post)

Jags said:
I thought the Mighty Huskee 22 ton would split anything thrown at it???? :lol:

<Ducking and running for cover>

(Discussion from a past post)
It does, it just takes some time with the stringy stuff. %-P

Shipper

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Black Locust. Split when green you'll have much better luck.

Yes sir, I agree....witcha got yourself there is some locust. And that stuff is pain to split and will smell like dog sh!t when burnt. And yes Jags, that splitter will split just about anything, that wood looks split to me just needs pulled apart.... >:-( Just remember Jags you can run but you cant hide...you could even ride that scooter around thats in your avatar but you still cant hide!

I dunno...when I first read the title, I figured it was either elm or a chunk of steel wedged in a tree...then saw that bark and all those strings...I said 'yep...elm..you're probably wishing it was a chunk of steel...easier to split" I compiled a pic...American Elm, the mystery wood, and Black Locust...

See what you think. Also curious, I've never known Locust to smell bad...at least none of the species around here. But elm, now that will smell like good ripe cat pee...especially a freshly split chunk on a hot day!

Attachments

• wood comparo.jpg
    wood comparo.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 795
Locust does not really smell bad when your splitting or cutting like elm. It smells bad when it is burned.

Shipper50 said:
I have been splitting off and on this morning and found a piece of wood in my pile I bought off a local farmer. It seems the ole Huskee has found its match. The below pictures are the wood I don't know what it is.

Could someone tell me what and why its so tough to split?

Shipper

Seems you where determined to split that piece of wood on that side. Just do one split down the middle until the splitter boggs down. Turn the piece on the oppsite end, and split again, meeting up with the previous end that you spit. It should come apart then...

Just time to bring out the old chain saw and cut off what is split and then he rest should be easy. I have found pieces of wood at the dump that wouldn't split and i ended up chain sawing the length of the log....nasty

LEES WOOD-CO said:
F4 will split that clean as a whistle! No questions asked.
Whats a F4? And how much does one cost?

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
F4 will split that clean as a whistle! No questions asked.
Whats a F4? And how much does one cost?

Shipper

hehehehe, Black Powder. About $8/can. We use it to split logs over 40" that won't fit on the mill carriage. It's quite a spectacle to see a 2 ton log come off the ground as much as 8 feet and land in 2 or more pieces.

Reminds me back in the 70's I had a piece (elm, I assume), that I had trouble splitting. I buried three wedges, the maul AND the chain saw in it!

Ken

I've got a piece of pine that looks like that. In my case, there's a knot / branch almost in the middle of the dern thing. Since I was renting the splitter, I put it aside for easier pickin's. If I still had the splitter, 'tho, I'd try turnin' the log on it's side and forcing the wedge down (while standing BEHIND the beam in case the dern thing slips out). As it is, it will sit like that 'til (1) I rent a splitter again; or (2) I get a new sledge hammer and feel particularlly energetic (and my back is up to some sledge-slamming).

Peace,
- Sequoia

I have the same splitter, elm will work it but I have never had a piece it would not split. Maybe run the ram on the other end?

Status
Not open for further replies.