What on earth is this? seller claims it's a fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An indoor chimnea, they were all the rage in the days of shag carpet and Galliano shots

I REMEBER SEEING PICTURES OF THE SAME FIRE PLACE BUT IN DIFFERENT COLORS, IN MAGAZINES AS A CHILD IN THE LATE 60'S EARLY 70'S I THINK THEY WERE HIP AND IN STYLE BACK IN THE DAY!

Man that is one ugly fire unit.
I can only imagine Papa bringing in wood with bellbottoms, lambchop, a fresh hair perm and platform shoes..
God save us!

BrotherBart said:
It is a free standing fireplace. Not an insert. And I haven't seen one in, oh, two weeks since I was in the local fireplace store.

You can order one here for fifteen hundred bucks:

http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?catId=88&selected;_anId=&prodId=8837

Ah, I see.

All the drawdacks of a fireplace with a woodstove footprint & price. :)

It's amazing what you can get away with selling to the nostalgia crowd, who want to relive their youth.

(I bet in the 70's these were dirt cheap)

Yeah. The nostalgia crowd hasn't caught up to modern new millennium heating appliances like large ornate hunks of cast iron or steel boxes sitting in the living room with a wood fire in them. ;-P

They are still living in the 70's. While the rest of us are living in the 1800's. :lol:

I have memories of them in an A frame house and in a geodesic (dome) house.

Far out man.

its a freestanding fireplace , long since abandoned due to EPA restrictions (thank gawd!!) literally as posted an indoor chimnea. pretty much junk as far as im concerned, probably about as inefficient as it gets, likely has similar combustion features to the "wino stove " (55 gallon drum full of whatever combustibles found in that particular alley)

stoveguy2esw said:
its a freestanding fireplace , long since abandoned due to EPA restrictions (thank gawd!!) literally as posted an indoor chimnea. pretty much junk as far as im concerned, probably about as inefficient as it gets, likely has similar combustion features to the "wino stove " (55 gallon drum full of whatever combustibles found in that particular alley)

I grew up with a rounded version of the freestanding stove posted. Might not have been efficient, but man it threw heat. Ours was mounted on a 20" high hearth with tile on the walls behind it(corner intsallation). We had a black cat that would sleep for hours back in the corner baking her brains out all evening long.

I really thought it was a great fireplace until I took the plunge into woodstoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.