What other stoves have both air tubes & a cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting. I did not know that. The claimed burn times seem short considering the firebox size and the burn system it uses. The 8" pipe isn't a surprise since VC also recommended 8" pipes for all of it's cat models at the time.

I hear the Elm can be had with both secondary and a Cat. At least there is one out there currently in use.

All cat stoves have some kind of secondary air otherwise the cat won't have the combustion air to light off and burn the smoke. My Woodstocks have holes in the air wash plate right in front of the cat to give it some air and it also gives some great secondary flame shows.

Todd said:
All cat stoves have some kind of secondary air otherwise the cat won't have the combustion air to light off and burn the smoke. My Woodstocks have holes in the air wash plate right in front of the cat to give it some air and it also gives some great secondary flame shows.

Would it be enough to establish secondary combustion without the cat in place?

It appears that if one removed the cat from the old Lopi you would still be able to maintain some secondary combustion albeit only via one air tube.

Treacherous said:
Todd said:

Would it be enough to establish secondary combustion without the cat in place?

It appears that if one removed the cat from the old Lopi you would still be able to maintain some secondary combustion albeit only via one air tube.

I never tried it with my stoves, but I would think it would give some secondary combustion, probably not enough for a real clean burn and high efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.