What pellet stove insert for new house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan105

Dec 20, 2015
Salem, NH
I live in New England, just bought a new (bigger) house that is 3,000 sq ft. It is a garrison style 2 floor home built in the seventys with a cinderblock foundation. Attic is very small and insulated well. The house has an oil furnace that sends forced hot water to floor registers. I can control the upstairs (bed rooms) separately. There is an existing fire place in the den on the first level. This den is open concept into a large kitchen. I am going to knock down a wall (or make it a half wall with posts) so the area also is open to a separate dining room. The fireplace opening is 35 wide, 28 high, and 24 deep. There is a large damper inside it but I am being told that I can open it all the way and will be able to fit a flexable stainless steel chimney through it. A trip to the top of the roof shows that there are 2 flus. The clay flu for the fireplace is roughly 7.5 in/11.5in. So plenty of room for a liner.

Million dollar question is---- What pellet stove insert should I get to heat the main floor of this house that is about 1,500 sq ft? I would like something that puts out strong heat, is a quality stove, that has parts readily available, has an ash pan, and can be hooked up to a thermostat.

I live in New England, just bought a new (bigger) house that is 3,000 sq ft. It is a garrison style 2 floor home built in the seventys with a cinderblock foundation. Attic is very small and insulated well. The house has an oil furnace that sends forced hot water to floor registers. I can control the upstairs (bed rooms) separately. There is an existing fire place in the den on the first level. This den is open concept into a large kitchen. I am going to knock down a wall (or make it a half wall with posts) so the area also is open to a separate dining room. The fireplace opening is 35 wide, 28 high, and 24 deep. There is a large damper inside it but I am being told that I can open it all the way and will be able to fit a flexable stainless steel chimney through it. A trip to the top of the roof shows that there are 2 flus. The clay flu for the fireplace is roughly 7.5 in/11.5in. So plenty of room for a liner.

Million dollar question is---- What pellet stove insert should I get to heat the main floor of this house that is about 1,500 sq ft? I would like something that puts out strong heat, is a quality stove, that has parts readily available, has an ash pan, and can be hooked up to a thermostat.

What's going on here? It's been well over an hour since this post, and nobody has said "Harman"?

Not a million dollar question here, new insert, professionally installed, anywhere from $4500 - $6000? Or so?

This link on the Harman site gives the stove that should fit the opening of the fireplace:

http://www.harmanstoves.com/Browse/Inserts/Pellet-Inserts.aspx#/opening-35-28-24

The Accentra 52i looks like it should fit the needs. Good looking, too.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/Products/Accentra-52i-Pellet-Insert.aspx

I will be installing it myself. I have installed stoves a few times and feel I can do it right and have a safe installation. I cant afford a Harman stove. I will have to get a used stove or could swing maybe 2k-2500 for a new one

I just installed a Harman accentra 52i last year. On my second year with no problems. Heating about what you are, 2800 sq ft., 1400 first floor. The stove can put out good heat or simmer along. Dead of winter I will go through about 2.5 bags a day and when just simmering along I go through about 2/3 of a bag a day. The stove has been great and looks good too.
20151220_141905.jpg

I will be installing it myself. I have installed stoves a few times and feel I can do it right and have a safe installation. I cant afford a Harman stove. I will have to get a used stove or could swing maybe 2k-2500 for a new one

I recently completed my first (and only) installation, and am sitting comfortably next to it right now. I was able to get it accomplished for a bit under $2500, buying a used Accentra-2 FS, looking for the better deals on the venting (Tractor Supply had the best price by more than $50 at the time), building the floor protector myself. I got bit a little by the $200 for the replacement control board, I didn't check the stove out fully when I purchased it, I didn't run it through a full cycle of startup to full shutdown. Shame on me.

You can find a used Accentra insert for your $$$ range.

Not too far from you, and it comes with 30' of chimney liner.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/for/5352663558.html

Reactions: Dan105
With the way this winter is going, wait and see if you can snag a used one or save and pull the trigger on a new one next year and enjoy the fireplace for a few evenings and see if pellet prices break lower latter this heating season and stock up if you have the storage. With hydo fuels being so cheap in most areas one does not have to rush.
I pushed the botton as another posting showed a used unit for a very good price. Theres your answer so stop watching the idiot box and go check it out. You could have it in by Christmas.

I recently completed my first (and only) installation, and am sitting comfortably next to it right now. I was able to get it accomplished for a bit under $2500, buying a used Accentra-2 FS, looking for the better deals on the venting (Tractor Supply had the best price by more than $50 at the time), building the floor protector myself. I got bit a little by the $200 for the replacement control board, I didn't check the stove out fully when I purchased it, I didn't run it through a full cycle of startup to full shutdown. Shame on me.

You can find a used Accentra insert for your $$$ range.

Not too far from you, and it comes with 30' of chimney liner.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/for/5352663558.html
I would jump on that if your looking for used.

Reactions: womaus
I would jump on that if your looking for used.

That does look like a good deal...though the recent replacement of parts means it should be looked through carefully.

If buying new I would be looking at the enviro M55

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm going to talk to the wifey tonight and see if she wants to stick with getting a used one or finacing a new one. We spent a ton of money getting the new house. But she is definitely excited about getting a pellet stove. We have a cheapO englander 25 pdv in the basement but that thing isnt going on the living level at the new house. It will go in the basement like it is now to keep the K9 watm.
Womaus- i just left a message about the one in worcester. Waiting to hear back.
Keith- check ur email

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm going to talk to the wifey tonight and see if she wants to stick with getting a used one or finacing a new one. We spent a ton of money getting the new house. But she is definitely excited about getting a pellet stove. We have a cheapO englander 25 pdv in the basement but that thing isnt going on the living level at the new house. It will go in the basement like it is now to keep the K9 watm.
Womaus- i just left a message about the one in worcester. Waiting to hear back.
Keith- check ur email

Excellent...if you need someone to visit the one in Worcester to make sure it isn't too good to be true I'll be happy to do so.

Don't forget about the Harman P35i, if your only looking to heat around 1500 sq feet on one floor it will do the job with ease.

Hey guys, so i ended up getting a great deal on a stove locally. I got a used Harman Accentra that is 5 years old. It looks to be in great shape and all of the mantel/flashing parts are still in the box! I got it for 1,900. I also bought a new chimney and a new fresh air intake for it. Did a lot of work on the install today. Old fireplace enclosure is out (damper was a groan to undo), all cleaned up, vacuumed a ton of junk out above the damper, sealed up some gaps/cracks in the brick work, got the frame chassis installed and leveled in the fireplace. Installed my fresh air intake on the stove (pretty nice how harman does the slide out design). 2mrw I will get the rest done and do the chimney. Gonna be sweet!

Congratulations! Enjoy

Hey guys, so i ended up getting a great deal on a stove locally. I got a used Harman Accentra that is 5 years old. It looks to be in great shape and all of the mantel/flashing parts are still in the box! I got it for 1,900. I also bought a new chimney and a new fresh air intake for it. Did a lot of work on the install today. Old fireplace enclosure is out (damper was a groan to undo), all cleaned up, vacuumed a ton of junk out above the damper, sealed up some gaps/cracks in the brick work, got the frame chassis installed and leveled in the fireplace. Installed my fresh air intake on the stove (pretty nice how harman does the slide out design). 2mrw I will get the rest done and do the chimney. Gonna be sweet!
Congrats, enjoy, and don't forget the pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.