What pellet would you choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrssword

Sep 20, 2011
Eastern, CT
Hi, the last few years we have been burning greene teams at $197 ton (lowes, military discount =great deal) but with the escalated prices of $279 this year, looking into other options. We burned thru 5 tons last year, we have a Lopi Leyden. Here they are:

Okanagan Black Hills $295 ton
Turman $299 ton
Hammers hot ones $289
Powerhouse $249 ton
Barefoot $299 ton
Geneva $279
LaCrete $279 ton
All above delivered, $65 charge
Spruce pointe $289 ton pickup
Cleanfire Pacific $300 ton pickup

Or stick with Greene team platinum $250 (with military discount)

I am almost thinking 2 tons of green team platinum for shoulder pellets & been looking to try the hammer hot ones. We have tried a couple tons of spruce points & liked them in the past. Would love some opinions! Thanks!!

Ofa
Hi, the last few years we have been burning greene teams at $197 ton (lowes, military discount =great deal) but with the escalated prices of $279 this year, looking into other options. We burned thru 5 tons last year, we have a Lopi Leyden. Here they are:

Okanagan Black Hills $295 ton
Turman $299 ton
Hammers hot ones $289
Powerhouse $249 ton
Barefoot $299 ton
Geneva $279
LaCrete $279 ton
All above delivered, $65 charge
Spruce pointe $289 ton pickup
Cleanfire Pacific $300 ton pickup

Or stick with Greene team platinum $250 (with military discount)

I am almost thinking 2 tons of green team platinum for shoulder pellets & been looking to try the hammer hot ones. We have tried a couple tons of spruce points & liked them in the past. Would love some opinions! Thanks!![/quot

Of all the ones you have listed I have only burned the Hamers. I love these pellets. They burn real hot and do not produce a lot of ash. I would choose those. Although I would love to try the Barefoots and the Turmans based on all the rave reviews both get.

Of all the ones you have listed I have only burned the Hamers. I love these pellets. They burn real hot and do not produce a lot of ash. I would choose those. Although I would love to try the Barefoots and the Turmans based on all the rave reviews both get.

Hammers or Spruce Pointe, IMO.

Have you called your local Lowes yet this year? They have more different brands in the one near me than they have in previous years.

Hammers or Spruce Pointe, IMO.

Have you called your local Lowes yet this year? They have more different brands in the one near me than they have in previous years.

Yes called 2 Lowes & 2 Home Depots today. Besides the Greene team platinum they have green supremes at $209. Just missed the green teams at $225 (with discount). For some reason the prices are all over the place between the 4 stores. We just refinished a large section under our home to fit 5+ tons of pellets. Can't wait to see it filled. I feel like we are late in the game this year, already had our supply by this time last year.

Thank you!

Yes called 2 Lowes & 2 Home Depots today. Besides the Greene team platinum they have green supremes at $209.

Stay far away from the GS....they are just rebagged NEWP, and they have been poor, at best, for the last 2-3 yrs.

Stay far away from the GS....they are just rebagged NEWP, and they have been poor, at best, for the last 2-3 yrs.

Yeah, we purchased a ton of GS last year & although they burned fine with no trouble the heat output was less than desirable. I stalk this forum enough to know they are a no go again this year.

I ordered 3 tons of hammers for $834 plus $70 delivery charge. Really wanted to try those la crete's as well but the delivery charge was another $25 from northeastern, ct. And well I'm cheap like that. I figure we will pick up either 2 tons of spruce pointes or greene team platinum locally to save some bills. Thanks so much for your help deciding!

I ordered 3 tons of hammers for $834 plus $70 delivery charge. Really wanted to try those la crete's as well but the delivery charge was another $25 from northeastern, ct. And well I'm cheap like that. I figure we will pick up either 2 tons of spruce pointes or greene team platinum locally to save some bills. Thanks so much for your help deciding!

I burn the Hamers in my Leyden for the cold months - you'll be pleased with your choice. For the shoulder pellets - you might want to search the forums on the Powerhouse, I've never burned them but they might get you by rather than spending the $279 on the GT "Platinums". I'm in the same situation as you - have bought the GT's for $197 less discounts for the past 2 years, but will no pay $279/ton for them. So I've found some Energex for $249/ton - again, more than I've spent but still cheaper than the GT's and my HDs and Lowes are also carrying the Green Supremes as well (no thank you).

Best of luck!

I burn the Hamers in my Leyden for the cold months - you'll be pleased with your choice. For the shoulder pellets - you might want to search the forums on the Powerhouse, I've never burned them but they might get you by rather than spending the $279 on the GT "Platinums". I'm in the same situation as you - have bought the GT's for $197 less discounts for the past 2 years, but will no pay $279/ton for them. So I've found some Energex for $249/ton - again, more than I've spent but still cheaper than the GT's and my HDs and Lowes are also carrying the Green Supremes as well (no thank you).

Best of luck!

Thank you, excited to try these hammers. The place I ordered the hammers from didn't have any good shoulder pellets imo. all over $269 for NEWP, Maine woods & the likes. We are able to get the greene team "platinum" at $251 with military discount & don't have to pay the extra $10 a ton delivery ($20 for the 2 tons we will be purchasing). Its only a few miles round trip to the local Lowes. So thinking of going that route. Still not happy with paying even that much for "platinums". But at least I know they burn good & won't be clogging up my auger for those warmer months. We both know our Leyden can be a bit finicky at times.

I buy the best I can find for my money. Last year I bought a ton of isabella ($179) to try for the shoulder season. They were not very hot and lots of ash and fines. A couple tons of ProPellets ($179) and they burned as warm as my Sommersets ($199) but the Pro's had medium ash. I also have to figure that it cost $25 a ton or more to have them delivered. Do I want to spend that money on a poor pellet?
This spring I was able to but Sommersts for $179.

Status
Not open for further replies.