what pellets to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

little_hawk_59

Dec 11, 2009
michigan
what to buy i can get propellets for 200 a ton or i can get shop ozark hardwood
for 180 a to will be getting like six ton so i can almost buy another ton if i buy the ozarks any thoughts

Have you burned both brands? The ProPellets are a good pellet, and have been "reviewed" on this forum. So have the Ozarks, and only thing I remember about them is some of the pellets are kinda long, and a little more ash than normal.

Don't buy 6 tons of pellets that you know nothing about how they burn in your stove. Are the temps in Mi. still low enough to be able to test burn a few bags of each? I would NOT be buying 5-6 tons of anything unless I knew how they worked in my stove. That's called "buying a pig in a poke".

yes test burned last night of the Ozarks last night got good temps from them about the same as the propellet but more ash just dont know if it is worth $20 more a ton just so i dont have to vac the stove as much

little_hawk_59 said:
....... just dont know if it is worth $20 more a ton just so i dont have to vac the stove as much

If it's a significant difference in the amount of ash, then spend the extra 40 cents/bag. Otherwise, get the cheaper pellets, IMO.

The Ozarks had a bit more ash than the propellets. But they also had more heat in my stove. You should try some if possible. But either one burned decent for me. I would not have an issue with either, But I always favor heat and the dollar factor. :)

Based on Jay's test results, I'd go for the Ozarks. Like he said, it's all about the heat output, especially in this case where the amount of ash is pretty close.

well jumped in to the ozarks bought 6 ton today now to start moving them home is is always the best part but i got the guy to eat my sales tax so i got them at 180 a ton out the door

Status
Not open for further replies.