What pellets to try next

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ltlhawk

Burning Hunk
Nov 24, 2012
Pelham, NH
As most of you pellet pigs already know, I am on my first stove and my first batch of pellets. I bought 3 tons of HD specials (North American), but as I read the posts I am thinking of using these for most of the time, but trying some other brand for the really cold days (if we ever get any). From an earlier post I was reading about pellets from Dodge Grain and thoguht that I would check out my local dodge grain and see what they have. Their web site shows the following pellets available and I was wondering if you pros could recommend which of these you think are the best for the really cold days. Here are the choices:

GENEVA WOOD PELLETS @ $249
LOGIK-E Pellets @ $282.50
MAINE WOOD PELLETS @ $242 a ton

Get in touch with Don2222 he lives local to you.
He can let you know whats good locally.
My mom lives next town over from you in Atkinson.
---Nailer---

Get in touch with Don2222 he lives local to you.
He can let you know whats good locally.

Nailer, thank you for that info.. I wil lshoot Don a message and see if he has some advice.. I feel like a kid at my first day at school..lol.

Are the MWP hardwood or super premiums here in Maine the hardies can be had for 219 (or could be ) and the SP softies were 239 delivered to my door,
Blend is now 224 delivered at sib and I think he was getting 254 for the last tons of softies.

Them Logik-e's will roast ya ash can! Price is on the rich side though. I'd see if you can try a few bags first. MWP and Geneva are pretty close. Edge to geneva for heat.

Looks like you are right in my neighborhood!! And I also just got my stove. Just got back from Dodge Grain, got 10 bags of the MWP blend before I buy a ton of them. I have tried a bunch of brands available in the area. I have had great luck with the Fireside Ultra they sell at the Salem, NH Home Depot. $209 / ton. I tried the Genevas, Green Supreme, Greene Team, Cubex, and North American. So far I think the Firesides have been the most bang for the buck. I also liked the North American from the home depot in Methuen. I am thinking in the next week I will either get a ton of MWP delivered from Dodge Grain or a ton of the Firesides from HD and move them myself.

Looks like you are right in my neighborhood
hey Neighbor, you are right down the road.. I used to live in methuen and moved to Pelham last April. If you buy the HD pellets go to the Salem NH HD and avoid the tax. I bought a few bags of the firesides when I first got my stove and I loved them so I ordered 3 tons (since they charge 65 no mater how much you get). What I got was North Americans. not sure why, but so far they are ok. Little ash and they seem to burn ok. I just want to go with a premium when it comes to the real cold weather.. besides, I think I am becoming a pellet pig and I just cant help it...I think my best bet is to just go up there (Salem NH) and get a few bags of each and light them up, then make the big buy. I am wondering if maybe I should have specified to HD that I wanted the fireside.. maybe because I just said "3 tons of pellets" they picked them for me.. Is that the case do you think? ah, anyway, to much wine tonight and I am curled up next to the stove loving life.. peace..

hey Neighbor, you are right down the road.. I used to live in methuen and moved to Pelham last April. If you buy the HD pellets go to the Salem NH HD and avoid the tax. I bought a few bags of the firesides when I first got my stove and I loved them so I ordered 3 tons (since they charge 65 no mater how much you get). What I got was North Americans. not sure why, but so far they are ok. Little ash and they seem to burn ok. I just want to go with a premium when it comes to the real cold weather.. besides, I think I am becoming a pellet pig and I just cant help it...I think my best bet is to just go up there (Salem NH) and get a few bags of each and light them up, then make the big buy. I am wondering if maybe I should have specified to HD that I wanted the fireside.. maybe because I just said "3 tons of pellets" they picked them for me.. Is that the case do you think? ah, anyway, to much wine tonight and I am curled up next to the stove loving life.. peace..

What was your experience with HD delivery? I would love to get 2 tons of the firesides delivered but don't have much confidence in the HD staff. If I am paying for delivery, I want the pallet in my garage (not in the driveway). I know that Dodge Grain will stack in the garage for $30 / ton, not sure about HD.

HD delivery could not have been better. It was $65 not mater how much you ordered. They arrived on a big semi truck and they unloaded with a fork lift. The guy brought them right to the garage door and pushed them inside as far as he could, unfortunately the forklift would not fit into the garage. All in all I am happy with the delivery and with the North american pellets, my only problem is stacking..hehehe

I am thinking my best bet is to get a ton of the MWP's from Dodge Grain delivered and then supplement with 10 bags / week of the fireside ultras.

Where in NH would you pay tax? There is no tax on them in MA either.

If those are the only ones available locally (nothing else available from the big box stores?), then for the price, get the Geneva's.

The Logic-e's are too $$, IMO.......but maybe buy 10-15 bags for the coldest night......

The Logic-e's are too $$, IMO.......but maybe buy 10-15 bags for the coldest night
I think I will buy a few bags this weekend and experminet...muhahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.