What percentage is your wood reading?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
Some of mine is still 35 plus, some at 19. Of course we have 2.5 months of heat and wind before it cools so I am not too worried...

All of my firewood, sadly, is completely illiterate. Try as I might, I've not been able to teach any of it to read a thing. I know that all of the wood reading all of the time is totally out of the question. I'd be happy if just 10% of it read 50% of the time...but alas, not one split of my wood reads at all. Ah well... :down: Rick

fossil said:
All of my firewood, sadly, is completely illiterate. Try as I might, I've not been able to teach any of it to read a thing. I know that all of the wood reading all of the time is totally out of the question. I'd be happy if just 10% of it read 50% of the time...but alas, not one split of my wood reads at all. Ah well... :down: Rick
Your a riot Alice your a riot, bang zoom.............

Shipper:)

One o' these days, Shipper...one o' these days...

fossil said:
All of my firewood, sadly, is completely illiterate.
+1
Mine too... 100% of it dumb as a post.

burntime said:
Some of mine is still 35 plus, some at 19. Of course we have 2.5 months of heat and wind before it cools so I am not too worried...

What kind a wood? I just split and read a larger piece of red oak that is 2 years old that was cut standing dead with no bark and I got 29%. My Black Locust in the same 2 year old pile is all around 17-20%.

Todd, Black locust starts at 30%. It and white ash are the best!

Dunno.

It's checking real pretty, how ever.

RALPH !!!!

35% + ain't gonna get there this year. Whether it can read or not. If the 19% is from the center of a fresh re-split you are good to go. If that reading was from the outside of a split or the end, it ain't gonna be a perfect winter. But it'll burn.

don't know, don't care.. should be three years ahead when i am finished next month - figure i'll just use the oldest first and go from there

Yep, readings are from the middle. "dumb as a post" that was pretty good! Some of the wood is oak, ash, maple, elm, chock cherry, and apple. The high reading was a chunch of apple...

My stacks of cherry are in the high 20's currently after only being stacked since March/April. It seems to be seasoning faster than some of the maple and other hardwoods I have looked at....

Joseph Conrad and Henry Miller. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

I have some pignut/shagbark hickory split since June 2007 that I know will get my Oslo up to 650 real quick
without any readings.

WoodButcher

burntime, I'll bet you are going to be happy when you can get a 2 year supply on hand!

As for moisture content, I've never known what ours is and don't really care. If it burns good, then the moisture content must be right. If it is smoky or sizzles like a steak frying, it isn't ready. That is our moisture meter.

There is still 3 or more months for most people on this forum until the heating season begins. Most of Wisconsin and Michigan will be heating before that, but we still have at least 2 good months of higher temperatures which is good for drying. It can dry a lot in that time. Good luck, but do put that oak away for another year.

Great Fire of London
by Jacques Roubaud

The Great Chicago Fire and the Myth of Mrs O'Leary's Cow
By Richard F. Bales, Thomas F. (FRW) Schwartz

Paul Bunyan; A Legendary Hero of The North Woods
By Alvord, Thomas G.

The Woodcutter's Christmas
By Brad Kessler

Peace,
- Sequoia

You guys jinxed me, it pouring here :lol:

Status