What price per ton are pellets equal to what price per gallon fuel oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, going a little nutz on this one.
Lots of posts I have read on this, and the answers are broad and varying.

I have read that $300/ton pellets equals $2.55 a gal oil?

So I guess a formula between the two would be GREAT!

May I be so lucky as to have a pellet plant built in my county.......

Peace

In my thoughts $2.50 per gallon = $250 per ton. In central MA it is more expensive to heat with pellets right now. 3 1/2 tons pellets are still in the garage so I am using both. 1bag of pellets/day and run the stove on med plus leave the oil on 66*.

Well, #2 fuel oil has roughly 140,000 BTU per gallon.
Wood pellets have 8200 BTU per pound X 2000#/ton = 16,400,000BTU/ton
So 16,400,000/140,000 = 117.14 gallons of #2 oil = 1 ton of wood pellets...
Oil around here is at $3.20 (+/-) per gallon
Pellets are at $300/ton
$3.20 x 117 =$374.86...
Pellets win!

DAKSY said:
Well, #2 fuel oil has roughly 140,000 BTU per gallon.
Wood pellets have 8200 BTU per pound X 2000#/ton = 16,400,000BTU/ton
So 16,400,000/140,000 = 117.14 gallons of #2 oil = 1 ton of wood pellets...
Oil around here is at $3.20 (+/-) per gallon
Pellets are at $300/ton
$3.20 x 117 =$374.86...
Pellets win!
LOL, you guys are getting HOSED if you're paying $3.20/gal for oil!!! My father just filled his tank @ $2.03 and I'm sure it can be found <$2.00.

Oil is FAR cheaper than pellets right now.

<>LOL, you guys are getting HOSED if you're paying $3.20/gal for oil!!! My father just filled his tank @ $2.03 and I'm sure it can be found <$2.00.

Oil is FAR cheaper than pellets right now.<>

NY Staters get HOSED for EVERYTHING! Our state government is way too big & all us little guys pay thru the nose to keep it running...
My oil provider wanted me to "lock-in" at $4.59 per gallon in July...
$2.03?!?!?! We paid $2.89 last year!

DAKSY said:
<>LOL, you guys are getting HOSED if you're paying $3.20/gal for oil!!! My father just filled his tank @ $2.03 and I'm sure it can be found <$2.00.

Oil is FAR cheaper than pellets right now.<>

NY Staters get HOSED for EVERYTHING! Our state government is way too big & all us little guys pay thru the nose to keep it running...
My oil provider wanted me to "lock-in" at $4.59 per gallon in July...
$2.03?!?!?! We paid $2.89 last year!

And those idiots in your state legislature just increased or added 88 new taxes and fees.

I'm just waiting for our legislature to attempt the same.

DAKSY--Nicely done.....will keep for reference....works easily
i just got a cod oil delivery 300 gal min for $2.05 out of Wappingers Falls will give info if NEONE is interested and near....

big ups macman---how:s the fire burnin on this magic snow day?

peace

Okay----so then break even on $300.00/ton pellets, no other associated costs is roughly 2.55 a gallon of #2oil

break at $6.00 bag/$300.00 /ton is $2.55 gallon #2oil

so if i just filled 300 gallons at 2.05 thats a .50 a gallon savings or $150.00. Half a ton of pellets. I should burn the oil right now if price is the only consideration.

one could go WHACK hedging this out month to month, but overall we KNOW oil will go up again, and possibly soon......will pellets come down, probably not with this increase in demand until summer. that is the ticket. buy a year or two in off season and sit happy chompin pellets in the cold....

Status
Not open for further replies.