What seasoned wood looks like to me.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
looks good! wish i had 500 acres!

Quads,

? I am always looking to make my stacks more stable, and I believe I see in your picture, that you alternate the split orientation between stacks. >> The center of the picture where the gap is between the old and new, has splits at right angles supporting the row to the right.

Do I visualize this correctly, if so, thanks for the sharing the technique.

Fantastic phots Quads. Love it. Would you mind taking a photo of the stacks you keep inside. I would just like to see how much wood you burn over a 24 hour period. Having all that land is priceless. I live here in southern NJ on a very small piece of property. I struggle to get 3 cords in my backyard without tripping over it...lololol!!! But I am on the water, its priceless to me to be able to get up in the mornin and watch the boats float buy with the smell of fresh diesel fuel in the morning !! I'm pretty new to woodburning...but really enjoying and learnin..thanx again.

madison said:
Quads,

? I am always looking to make my stacks more stable, and I believe I see in your picture, that you alternate the split orientation between stacks. >> The center of the picture where the gap is between the old and new, has splits at right angles supporting the row to the right.

I stack my rows next to each other with about a foot gap between. As I go along, I go all the way around the outside with a row to hold everything up. That way I don't need posts for the ends of the rows that don't have trees to lean against. If you want, I might be able to post a picture that shows it better. Sometimes the rocking of the trees in the stronger winds loosens them a bit, but I just lean against the row with my back and push it back into place. This only happens for the first year after stacking, the older stacks settle in and don't loosen after that.

Joey said:
Fantastic phots Quads. Love it. Would you mind taking a photo of the stacks you keep inside. I would just like to see how much wood you burn over a 24 hour period. Having all that land is priceless. I live here in southern NJ on a very small piece of property. I struggle to get 3 cords in my backyard without tripping over it...lololol!!! But I am on the water, its priceless to me to be able to get up in the mornin and watch the boats float buy with the smell of fresh diesel fuel in the morning !! I'm pretty new to woodburning...but really enjoying and learnin..thanx again.
Ask and ye shall receive!

This picture is, on average, what I burn in 24 hours. Below zero and wind howling I will burn more, beautiful warm days like today was, less.
IMG_4654.jpg

What I burn in our longest and coldest month, January, is 2 face cords (2/3 of a full cord). Less than that all the other months.

Thats amazing....thanx for the reply...now I have a goal to set....enjoy your weekend......Joey

Hey Quads your like a little squirrel, scattering all you goods about. I would say you probably could burn the rest of your life and not cut any more. But that would not be fun would it?? Ever come across a pile you forgot about years ago?? I only have 300 acres and some is pasture. I'd say you got a good 15 yr. start ahead of me. I only have 2 cords for this year to burn. Got to go start catching up to you, will be out all weekend. Good stash!!!

Wacky1 said:
Hey Quads your like a little squirrel, scattering all you goods about. I would say you probably could burn the rest of your life and not cut any more. But that would not be fun would it?? Ever come across a pile you forgot about years ago?? I only have 300 acres and some is pasture. I'd say you got a good 15 yr. start ahead of me. I only have 2 cords for this year to burn. Got to go start catching up to you, will be out all weekend. Good stash!!!
A big squirrel!

Oh, I'd run out of firewood in about five years if I didn't cut anymore. Burning wood is just a way for me to get rid of it so I can split more. I like all things about heating with wood, but the splitting is my favorite part.

Off the top of my head I can't remember all the piles of wood I have around, but I remember them when I see them. I have never completely forgotten any, because I always make sure to stack them next to one of the trails so eventually I will ride my ATV by and see it.

My main cutting area at this time is about 80 acres. It's where a tornado went through several years ago. The whole 500 acres is the combination of 4 of our old family farms and a neighboring property. Some is still active cow pasture and fields. Some is pine plantation. Some Christmas trees. Part of it is a sandstone bluff.

Good luck out there this weekend! I wish I was out there, but it's hunting season and I won't be cutting again until after Thanksgiving weekend.

quads said:
madison said:
Quads,

I stack my rows next to each other with about a foot gap between. As I go along, I go all the way around the outside with a row to hold everything up. That way I don't need posts for the ends of the rows that don't have trees to lean against. If you want, I might be able to post a picture that shows it better. Sometimes the rocking of the trees in the stronger winds loosens them a bit, but I just lean against the row with my back and push it back into place. This only happens for the first year after stacking, the older stacks settle in and don't loosen after that.
Here's an aerial view of what I'm talking about. Rows all stacked about a foot apart, 4 1/2 feet high, surrounded by an outside row.
IMG_4655.jpg

I only do it that way with my permanent woodpiles. The temporary ones (like those out in the woods) are a single row with no ends. I eventually move those to one of the permanent piles as I get room, or sell them, give them away, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.