What set-up would you recommend, see Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

10-cc

Nov 28, 2008
St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada
Previously I had a 90 deg with single wall set-up and a draft inducer motor. Now it is a double wall with two 45 deg elbows and a draw collar for cold start-ups.
Note that the set-up shown is just a temporary configuration I had thought of.

Please let me know if you have better Idias.

Thanks for any insights.

setup2.jpgsetup3.jpg

How tall is your chimney?

20' in the outside (Security 2100 prefab) plus the inside lenght.

But, yes, two 45s are better than a 90. Never used a draw collar and I wonder why you need one.

20' in the outside (Security 2100 prefab) plus the inside lenght.
Doesn't seem like you would need anything to help with the draft if you have 20+ feet of chimney/pipe/liner.

Reactions: Jack768
To eliminate smoke in the house at start-ups when very cold outside.

Usually when it's colder, draft is much better. For us the only time we get a little spillage, is on 50F and above startups.

Reactions: Jack768
To eliminate smoke in the house at start-ups when very cold outside.
I'd go with the two 45s and save the draw collar for later install if you feel you need to try something additional to help your draft.

On start up I would toss a lit 1/4 of a Super Cedar in it and close the door to heat that pipe up.

I tryed it all. BGreen, yes draft strong in colder wheather, however to get it going is another story, the colder the denser the air in that chemney the longer it takes to heat that colder air. BB, befor the SupeerCedar will heat the 20' exterior pipe air that seats like plug, my house will smoke like crazy if you know whaat I mean.

Basement install? Is there an OAK connection to the stove?

Indeed basement install, no OAK but heat exchanger in the house so no negative pressure as the exchanger compensate the created vacuum by wood stove, various fans etc.. Like I stated before, no draft problems BUT at start-ups, once the chimney is warm I have a wonderful draft. Since I am not burning 24/7 it is a problem, many start-ups from scratch. That means "outside temperature = stove and chimney temps" that is why I will use the draw collar oppose to the Draft Inducer which in turn has a birch hole in the pipe and it would no installed in a double wall pipe. The Draw Collar is homologated and very safe, no holes and can be install with single or double wall pipes.

draftinducer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.