What should a swept pipe look like?.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

no stove yet

Feb 26, 2011
new haven county ct
I just ran the sooteater down my flexliner and don't really think i'm clean enough.
Top of pipe is still a little black,i'd say down 3 feet that I can see,with areas totally clean,you know new pipe look,
bottom of pipe more grayish than top and no shiny metal pipe showing.

So I don't really like the look of it and am curious if this ok,or should my pipe be looking fairly brandy new after sweeping.

I know my wood is less than great and am still learning how to burn the stove,just don't think I like how things cleaned up
maybe time for a brush and see if that cleans better?.

Thanks Scott.

no stove yet said:
I just ran the sooteater down my flexliner and don't really think i'm clean enough.
Top of pipe is still a little black,i'd say down 3 feet that I can see,with areas totally clean,you know new pipe look,

So I don't really like the look of it and am curious if this ok,or should my pipe be looking fairly brandy new after sweeping.

I know my wood is less than great and am still learning how to burn the stove,just don't think I like how things cleaned up

Thanks Scott.

I have never cleaned a chimney and am new to this myself. But you are burning a fire under that pipe and the soot/smoke it running through it, i would expect it to be black. No crusty build up or powserdy creosote but i think that it should be black.

I don't beleive you'll ever get it cleaned to look "new"
The ridges in the flex liner will always have some brown-black residue.
The idea is to bruah any heavy accumulation to prevent it from further building up and waiting to ignite.
The top few feet should have a light brown fine dust if burning right(correct if I'm wrong)
The vent cap on mine always has some black creosote snot, but never completely plugged or covered.

Short of running a rag through it with cleaning fluid you'll never get it shiny metal new . . . the idea is to brush off the creosote deposits . . . it will still look dirty, but there shouldn't be anything over 1/4 inch of gunk around the inside of the pipe.

no stove yet said:

Thanks Scott.

Scott this is after I cleaned it from the bottom up, before & after.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1723.jpg
    100_1723.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 100_1733.jpg
    100_1733.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 337
Thanks for the replies,reckon I'm being a bit compulsive about my chimney,but after the soot eater scrubbing figured it would look cleaner than it does.

FFjake didn't figure i'd get shiny new pipe look,just something better than what i'm seeing,but then again I have no clue,so guess time and experience
will show me the way.No gunk hanging off pipe so maybe ok.

Zap my pipe looks nowhere near as nice as yours,maybe the ridges in the flex liner make a difference?.I think I will pick up a poly brush and see if it cleans better,
if not well guess that is how it is.

Zap was it you in the wood shed forum mentioning a spray product to loosen the build -up in the pipe,if so ,would you recommend?.

no stove yet said:
Thanks for the replies,reckon I'm being a bit compulsive about my chimney,but after the soot eater scrubbing figured it would look cleaner than it does.

FFjake didn't figure i'd get shiny new pipe look,just something better than what i'm seeing,but then again I have no clue,so guess time and experience
will show me the way.No gunk hanging off pipe so maybe ok.

Zap my pipe looks nowhere near as nice as yours,maybe the ridges in the flex liner make a difference?.I think I will pick up a poly brush and see if it cleans better,
if not well guess that is how it is.

Zap was it you in the wood shed forum mentioning a spray product to loosen the build -up in the pipe,if so ,would you recommend?.

http://saversystems.com/chimney-products/acs-anti-creo-soot

This works for us, started using this when we got a late start on our wood the first year burning, changes any creosote to ash.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.