What should I do with a 17' long piece of 6" c-channel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
My neighbor is renovating their 1960s kitchen and removed this 17' long piece of 6" c-channel that was spanning the room. Did I want it? Um yes, of course.

Uy-oNL0PH2a6UGTEnfuZtclk1bXKjTzoUelWwWhFlWk3iA_IbFBwJThM8wjJseRP2Q2qru88jMLqxKvtx8g=w906-h679-no.jpg

Suggestions on what to do with this thing?

I make nice heavy duty shelf supports. I have a couple of large shelving units that use on channel out back and one out front with a sheet of plywood on top. I don't worry about it bending no matter what I load onto it. It would also make a nice front beam for a woodshed opening.

Nice scrounge. My first thought was "rail gun" but woodgeek may have influenced me a bit there.
It would make a nice "flight groove" for a really big crossbow.
The whole back corner of our lot is full of scrap metal I've collected.
Its amazing how many times I've walked out there and come back with what I need.

Reactions: VirginiaIron