What should I do with this white oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
IMG_0181.JPG IMG_0182.JPG

This tree is between the house and garage. We trimmed some 10"+ dead limbs last year that hang over the driveway, now more have turned brown. It has some dead in the middle also that needs to be addressed. My buddy that helps me when I need it wants to drop the whole thing, after limbing the stuff that hangs over the house first. The North side obviously has some dead but the South side is still green and provides shade for the house in Summer. I hate to lose the shade if I can just cut the dead, but if the tree is going to keep dying I don't want to take any chances, as it is over the walkway to the front door. I have several EAB ash that need to come down, and with 20+ cord C/S/S I'm not looking for more work if I can help it. What would you do? When I'm done working 60+ hours a week on the job over an hour from home I will have more time to get things done

Last edited:
For me it is a no brainer it's got to come down !
It's dying and will loose all it's leaves sooner
or later .
It is better to take it down now before something
does it for you and causes damage . all that extra oak
will look good in your stacks .

It's a tough decision but I'm afraid that's the answer. I just hate to lose the shade if the half that's still green would survive

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have one like that and it has been hanging on for the last 4 years. One side died and it lost several limbs but it looks like it is making a comeback. I think most of the time they don't make it. In my case I wanted a tree on that side of the house and the way it was leaning it would not hurt anything if it fell so I just let it be and I really think it is going to make it.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Better to take it down now before it becomes a problem. It seems like you are plenty busy, but we all know that is how it always works out. That oak will look great in your stacks, and even better in three years from now in your stove. I say drop it.

That Oak is on its way out. Its just a matter of time. It could stand for quite some time to come, but once they start dropping any branches of size it is more than time to take a serious look at it. They do become a yard hazard.

Seems unanimous, I guess it's coming down when it gets cooler out. Thanks for the replies guys

Status
Not open for further replies.