"what should i expect to pay for a qudrafire 5100i and 4100i?" now looking for ZC wood burning ins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
Whoa. That is a gas pre-fab fireplace that is in there now?

yes. the home came with a magestic wood burning insert, and the home owners before me must have had a natural gas one installed and the wood burning one pulled out.

I will leave it to MSG and the rest of the pros but I can't imagine a gas pre-fab fireplace that is built to the specifications or clearances that would be required to have a solid fuel appliance burning in them.

What say ye pros?

Sounds like a tough situation to be in, for sure. But with so many nice looking free standing stoves on the market today, do you think it's possible to talk the fiance into a free standing option?

god im confused now. Im going back to re read everything. I thought we had a ZC wood burning fireplace, now im not sure. is this a zc fireplace that is retrofitted with gas logs?

Sounds like a possible lack of communication here.

Have any stove dealers/installers/sellers been out to look at and or assess the situation yet? If not, seems like a good idea??

This sounds like another cluster in the making..........BB time for the easy chair and an adult beverage

I think we caught it before it turned into a cluster. I am going to talk to the OP tomorrow and give him the full story.

The photo looks like a typical wood fireplace with a gas log....hopefully you are right Todd, and that might very well be the case. It makes more sense with the price quote that they are removing the gas logs, and installing a insert. I would not put a 4100I in a ZC box, but the manufacture now approves of it in the US.. so who knows...

bbc557ci said:
Sounds like a possible lack of communication here.

Have any stove dealers/installers/sellers been out to look at and or assess the situation yet? If not, seems like a good idea??

ues i have had chimney doctors come take a look at it, the guy was clueless about inserts. i think he only specialized in cleaning chimneys. they came back to me with a price of 7500$ for a install or some mediocre unit(i forget the brand)...

then i had a more specific dealer come out and he spoke with me for a hour and a half. he said that he would be able to take out the gas insert, and put in a housing for the quadrafire 4100i or 5100i no problem, but the entire gas unit would be pulled out. he said it would be only a few hundred dollars more to do that vs finding one that fits the prefab i have now.

assuming the prior owners did not tear EVERYTHING out of my fireplace, they had a majestic SR42 in the home when it was built. which is a wood burning fireplace. i have the paperwork for it with all the documents with the home when i bought it. i also have a receipt for a install of the gass burning insert which was a few years after the home was built.
i even have a dampener on the housing that is still installed.

according to the manual i have, majestic BR, SR, SC, WMC, SHR, CR, and BFC units are able to burn wood. the pamphlet says "how to enjoy your wood burning fireplace"
my unit is a SR (SR42 to be exact)
im going to kick my self if i could have been having natural wood fires for the past 3 winters in this fireplace. that still does not negate me wanting a insert that will be more efficient though...

please let me know if this helps shed some clarity on the issue i am in right now.
again , i cant thank you guys enough for trying to understand my mis labeled/described situation. im learning, and hopefully some day soon i can join the ranks of those of you who are helping a new guy like me out.

Todd said:
Here's some more info on the OP's situation along with pictures from his other thread. I think what's going on is some kind of gas insert installed into an old wood burning insert. Maybe the installers are talking about removing the old gas insert and installing insert into old wood burning fireplace?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/39774/

that is what i got out of what he sas saying to me. remove the gas unit completely, and add a insert that will allow me to have the larger wood burning inserts fit.
granted i would like to stay with ones that are APPROVED for a non masonry fireplace. the #1 thing i want is for this thing to be safe as it will be running when i am not home at times(is that advised/safe? if not forgive me, im new....) as i have a dog in the house. loosing material possessions is bad, but loosing a pet to a home fire would be terrible.

i went to yet another fireplace company today and was told that the quadra fire's are not as nice of quality as the regency brand. he was pushing the I240 in particular over the quadrafires comparable unit. saying it is welded not screwed, the door is more structurally sound, fans are quieter and more efficient, less prone to electrical problems etc.
he came in with a price of 3549.19 total. thats installed with everything i would need to burn once it is installed.
this is not accounting for a 30% off for the govt rebate thing. he also said that install labor can be counted on that?
i was under the impression that install/labor is not applicable?

so i dont bog down those of you still on non high speed internet, below are links to photos of my fireplace right now.
i made a new guy mistake of removing too much. i removed the floor panel of the fireplace that was riveted in. for whatever reason i thought that there might be a masonry fireplace under the gas insert... DOOH!
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5286.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5287.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5288.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5289.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5290.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5298.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/par0thead151/DSCN5291.jpg

par0thead151 said:
i went to yet another fireplace company today and was told that the quadra fire's are not as nice of quality as the regency brand. he was pushing the I240 in particular over the quadrafires comparable unit. saying it is welded not screwed, the door is more structurally sound, fans are quieter and more efficient, less prone to electrical problems etc.

He is as full of crap as a Christmas turkey. The Quads are every bit as good as any steel stove out there (no matter how much summit loves his summit). Had occasion this afternoon to look at a Quad stove and a Regency side by side. The top plate on the Regency was thinner steel than the Quad. And nobody, but nobody, screws together steel wood stoves. They all be welded.

I dont buy the better quality bit, but i agree that the 2400 is a good fit. The install and materials do qualify for the credit.

BrotherBart said:
par0thead151 said:

He is as full of crap as a Christmas turkey. The Quads are every bit as good as any steel stove out there (no matter how much summit loves his summit). Had occasion this afternoon to look at a Quad stove and a Regency side by side. The top plate on the Regency was thinner steel than the Quad. And nobody, but nobody, screws together steel wood stoves. They all be welded.

jeesh, well im batting 1 for 3 then. the fireplace hearth and home guy(who came off as the most knowledgeable and respectable, and interested in educating me before selling me) may be the guy to go with then for the install and the guy who gets my business for not feeding me misinformation and lies.
im on the phone with the badgerland guy now, i was mis interpreting his words. i will post more when im off the phone.

ok, just got off the phone with the guy. indeed i was mis interpreting him. when he said a 4100 and 5100 could work , he was implying i pull everything out, and putting in everything new from top to bottom. and it would also require extending the fire box into the room as the depth from the wall was not enough for a larger high efficiency unit to fit. so naturally this is a NOGO as it would be too costly.
the option i have is for a quadrafire 2711i that fits in my existing fire place. he says he can re rivet the floor plate i took out, and the ceramic tiles go back in as well. then the quadrafire goes into that opening.
i think this will be a good inexpensive way for me to get my feet wet in the wood burning world. it claims to heat up to 1500 SQ ft, so probably more realistically 1000-1200 sq ft?
he says it will cost $1912 + the cost of the liner if it is needed(he uses 'homesaver liners', a flexible style liner)
plus a 500$ install. but if this is just a drop in, i may opt to do the install my self if the unit uses the existing piping.
i just hope that i will be able to notice a difference in my utility bill and heating comfort with this smaller insert

par0thead151, I am right in your area.... we need to talk.

If they are talking about tearing our or heavily modifying your prefab unit to put in an insert this is bad news. I would really like to talk to. I will send you a PM.

I also see in the new pics posted you gutted your prefabwood unit.... hmm... not really a good plan.

Todd said:
I think you will be disappointed with the small Quad insert, there are bigger inserts that are approved for ZC fireplaces. I would seriously consider the Country Flame 02.

http://www.americanenergysystems.com/wood-inserts.cfm

agreed, the BTU output and SQ footage that the 2700i claims to heat is very low for a home my size(pushing 3000 SQ ft)
i just dont want to have to replace the entire ZC with a larger ZC unit.

what i dont get is how the american energy systems insert is only rated for Maximum Heating Capacity: 34,100 BTU
whereas the quadrifire 2700i is rated higher in BTU's but heats less SQ footage

Todd said:
As long as your ZC wood burning fireplace is back to it's original specs I don't see a problem with finding a larger insert that will work. Another good ZC approved insert. http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=210

my fireplace is back to original specs, just need ot get some putty to fill the gas hole where the pipe was for supplying the natural gas to the fake logs.
i had no idea that there were more than one ZC approved inserts...

the sizes from my manual i got with the magestic ZC housing are as follows...
front width: 47"
rear width: 26.25"
depth: 22"
height: 21" with 7.5" above that, where that black part that holds the data plate above the unit is(i was told that this can be cut if need be to fit a insert)

Status
Not open for further replies.