What should I expect with the initial inspection/installation estimate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebrsmithers

Oct 14, 2007
Northern Alabama
Ok, I finally decided on the fireplace insert for me and went down to the dealer to order it. They told me that before they order it an inspection/installation estimate would need to be done. I am on board with that and think it is very professional of them to do it. But what I don't know is what to expect from the visit. I have already check the measurements of the existing fireplace to make sure the insert will fit. When I scheduled the visit, I was told that it would take an hour or more! What the heck is this guy going to do, besides measure the fireplace and do a visual on the chimney? Anyone out there want to fill me in...

By the way, there is NO additional charge for this.

Nebrsmithers said:
Ok, I finally decided on the fireplace insert for me and went down to the dealer to order it. They told me that before they order it an inspection/installation estimate would need to be done. I am on board with that and think it is very professional of them to do it. But what I don't know is what to expect from the visit. I have already check the measurements of the existing fireplace to make sure the insert will fit. When I scheduled the visit, I was told that it would take an hour or more! What the heck is this guy going to do, besides measure the fireplace and do a visual on the chimney? Anyone out there want to fill me in...

By the way, there is NO additional charge for this.
My shop did the same thing. They want to make sure that they believe your measurements. :) Don't take that the wrong way, but if they get stuck with a stove that won't fit it looks bad for them and you are an unhappy customer.

Eric

They may want an inspection of the existing chimney all the way to the top to look for cracked tiles etc. and how much work getting through the damper will be.

Sounds like great service to me. This way they can give you an accurate estimate and make sure everything will go as planned. Sounds like you found a great dealer to do business with!

Sounds like you're dealing with a reasonable contractor.When he does a pre-inspection like that in person,he's covering all the bases so as to avoid any unexpected surprisesscrewups on the day of your install.That makes for a better completed job{on time and professional}and most importantly: a happy end-user.

OK, had the guy out today and it took all of 20 minutes. He measured the fireplace, drew up a diagram of the measurements, made some notes about the damper and wrote down a couple of the questions I had that he couldn't answer. All in all, I was impressed with the professionalism. (even if I did have to take the time out of my day to meet with the guy.) I mean I already knew that my measurement were good and the stove was going to fit! I am just frustrated because I wanted the stove ordered Monday when I first went to the dealers store and now it won't get ordered until this guy submitts his paperwork and the store ok's the order. (More than likely, Friday.)

I want my insert! And I want it NOW! I am just an impaient northerner living in the deep south. Life moves a little slower down here and I haven't acclimated.

sounds like you had excellent service- I have done some work on both sides of that argument- service plumber- cust calls, says the have material on site, install prices- get there, they got low quality product , wrong stuff, etc...

sounds like you should be able to sleep well at night knowing your insert was installed/sized properly for your application

Be patient,

Not to sound like a wise-a**, but i do believe those stove shops are open all year- first chilly night, everybody comes a runnin'

Same thing in service plumbing- everybody farts around all weekend , sunday night at 7pm it's now- an emergency!!-

Just smile, and try to adapt to " southern time"

Bob

We do the same exact thing here. We don't schedule the job and order the product until AFTER the preview is done and the paperwork is signed.

I don't know what your city permit process is like but when I had my insert put in, the city demanded detailed drawings of the existing fireplace, chimney (both inside and outside), and the proposed installation and all manuals and proof from the vendors that the insert and chimney liner met the applicable safety standards. Then the inspector came 3 times to make sure it was done correctly. The fine print on the city permit does say they are not responsible if the they missed something though.

When I got mine the stove distributor wanted to do the same thing but when they found out that I was doing it myself they just asked a few more questions to confirm that I knew what I was doing.

But from what gathered from our conversation they would have verified the fireplace dimensions, examined the flue, verified the work needed with the damper and verified the depth of the hearth.

Once I told thenm what my plan was for the installation they were satisfied that they did not need to come out and do any measurement verifications.

Erik

Nebrsmithers said:
OK, had the guy out today and it took all of 20 minutes. He measured the fireplace, drew up a diagram of the measurements, made some notes about the damper and wrote down a couple of the questions I had that he couldn't answer. All in all, I was impressed with the professionalism. (even if I did have to take the time out of my day to meet with the guy.) I mean I already knew that my measurement were good and the stove was going to fit! I am just frustrated because I wanted the stove ordered Monday when I first went to the dealers store and now it won't get ordered until this guy submitts his paperwork and the store ok's the order. (More than likely, Friday.)

I want my insert! And I want it NOW! I am just an impaient northerner living in the deep south. Life moves a little slower down here and I haven't acclimated.

You just described my operation to a tee! Ha ha! I lose a lot of business because people around here won't wait! They want it now! But my main reason for going through this "on-site check, then sign install contract" process is safety. Most homeowners and contractors do not understand fireplace and chimney safety and will miss important details that I will not miss. I do this for a living and I know what to look for to mitigate risk. But, boy, do I have to listen to a lot of whining! Many folks here have a hard time accepting this approach. They just want it done!

The entire process, from the time you say you want a stove to the time you get it installed can be more than four weeks. At this time of year is can go as long as eight weeks. It takes a week or two to schedule the on-site check and then prepare the contract for your signature. After that you will get an install date, but my crew is booked four weeks out. It always amazes me that folks will come in and expect to get their stove immediately. Seems they don't understand that good contractors are busy and they pay attention to the details. That takes time. Has anyone ever finished a remodel project in a week or two? Then why do they expect a stove or insert in a week or two? Because they think it's simple. But it's not. A stove has the potential to burn your house down. It is not a simple project and it takes time to do it right.

In the summer time I can turn around a stove or insert install in about two weeks - most of the time. Why? Because I have less of a workload in the summer because most people are not thinking about heat. But in the fall and winter it takes at least four weeks and sometimes much longer. I have to juggle 150 to 200 people at one time and they all want it NOW!

I have followed up many installs where the customer went with one of my competitors or hired a local handy-man. Many times I have to re-install the stove to safety specs before I can take on the client as a service customer. I know my competitors are not as careful and put out a lot more work. But I can't sleep at night if I am wondering if my crew has installed the unit safely. This process is meant to protect both you, the customer, and me, the contractor. Doing things right takes a little more time.

Sean

eba1225 said:
When I got mine the stove distributor wanted to do the same thing but when they found out that I was doing it myself they just asked a few more questions to confirm that I knew what I was doing.

But from what gathered from our conversation they would have verified the fireplace dimensions, examined the flue, verified the work needed with the damper and verified the depth of the hearth.

Once I told thenm what my plan was for the installation they were satisfied that they did not need to come out and do any measurement verifications.

Erik

When a customer decides to do it themselves, or hire another contractor, we do not insist on doing a site-check. It is the responsibility of the installer to do the homework and make sure the unit is installed safely. We do try to ask questions and probe a little bit, but we don't push it. However, we do offer inspection services and will check the installation to make sure it passes safety codes and manufacturer's specs. A DIYer can save some money on install fees if they are careful to do it right. They can hire me to inspect the install for about $150. But if it doesn't pass the inspection it cost's them to make the changes. I won't service the stove and chimney unless it passes inspection. If they hire me to do the install they get my guarantee that the install will pass all safety code inspections and they can get on my service list automatically.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.