What should I expect?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozymandias

Apr 22, 2013
Massachusetts
Hey everyone. I am in my first season burning pellets. I have a M55 insert in a home we are spending our first winter in. The home was built in 1993, I located in MA, and is 2 floors (2900sqft). The insert is located in the first floor living room which is in the center of the house. This room empties into an entryway with a cathedral opening to the second floor. It is not an open concept home. I had the attic air sealed and insulated to R49. I've done nothing to the first floor, but the exterior walls do have fiberglass insulation. On its own, what type of temp would you say I could expect with the insert?

Last edited:
Looks like it may be slightly undersized for primary heat source. What other sources of heat does the house have? Here's the specs and on-line manuals if you don't have them....

http://www.enviro.com/fireplace-products/pellet/fireplace-insert.html#M55castfpi
The M55 Cast Multi-fuel Fireplace Insert

SPECIFICATIONS

• Convection Fan (variable speed) 200 CFM
• Fuel Capacity 60 lbs.
• Weight (empty) 480 lbs.
• Btu input (on high) 55,000
• Btu input (on low) 10,000
• Ignitor 400 Watt
• Max. Power usage (ignitor on) 600 Watt
• Operating Power usage 200 Watt
• Efficiency Rating 83.5 %
• EPA tested 1.0 g/hr emissions
• Area Heated** up to 2500 ft2• Vent Size 4” or 3”
• Glass Size 163 sq. in.

http://www.enviro.com/images/manual...struction M55C-FPI Domestic Owners Manual.pdf

http://www.enviro.com/images/manual...uction M55C-FPI Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

Reactions: Lousyweather
Almost impossible to predict because there are many variables we aren't seeing. Your LR can easily be in mid 70's, of course, and rooms adjacent at about 70 or so. From there, it largely depends on air flow and losses (air exchange). Low 60s in upper rooms is likely.

In my opinion, this will not heat your entire home. I have the same stove, my home is 2900 sq ft, and the lay out is similar to yours. The room where the stove is gets to about 75, but the temps drop quickly in the other rooms. I had a hard time getting rooms furthest away from the stove to the low 60's. I guess it depends on what you desire for a comfort level. Those temps were too chilly for my family, so we put another stove in.

In my opinion, this will not heat your entire home. I have the same stove, my home is 2900 sq ft, and the lay out is similar to yours. The room where the stove is gets to about 75, but the temps drop quickly in the other rooms. I had a hard time getting rooms furthest away from the stove to the low 60's. I guess it depends on what you desire for a comfort level. Those temps were too chilly for my family, so we put another stove in.

Warmerwithpellets, it sounds like we have very similar situations. The reason for my post is that so many people post about running their stoves at lower settings and achieving home temperatures in the 70's. I will say that the stove is burning much better now that we have had the OAK hooked up and properly set with a magnehelic, but I don'texpect to ever reach the 70's.

As you mentioned, the temperature quickly drops after you leave the living room. Because the living room opens up to a two story entrance area, the second floor ends up being in the mid sixties. The first floor is usually in the low sixties. This is when the temperature outside is in the 20's. When it hits the teen's the boiler kicks on the help keep the house at 60. This is by running the insert at level 3. I don't see that much of a difference running the stove at higher settings and I don't want to run it at 4 or 5 for extended periods of time.

I'm thinking about replacing my thermostats and purchase ones which have a fan/circulation option so that I can use my airconditioning ducts to better distribute the heated air. I'm also going to get an assessment of my first floor to see if there are any reasonable improvements I can make to eliminate drafts and improve the insulation.

Thanks for posting your experience. When I was making my buying decision it came down to the M55 and the P52i. I am wondering if somebody on the forum with a new accentra has a similar home design and what there experience has been.

I'm thinking about replacing my thermostats and purchase ones which have a fan/circulation option so that I can use my airconditioning ducts to better distribute the heated air. I'm also going to get an assessment of my first floor to see if there are any reasonable improvements I can make to eliminate drafts and improve the insulation.

Now your thinking:cool: Get the most out of those BTUs to the hard to reach spaces. Let us know how you make out with the circulating fan option...

Status
Not open for further replies.