1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What should my flame look like?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by smitty273, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smitty273

smitty273 Member

Loc:
    Columbiana Co., Eastern Ohio
    Posts have asked about a lively flame, but trying to find out just what kind of flame I should be looking for. Is a good flame small or large? How high from the burn pot should it be? Considering a medium burn rate.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    Depends on the stove but generally the less pellets fed the lower the flame. Turn up the feed rate and the flame length increases .
    With my Harman the flame is more like a blow torch effect since all air holes are on the bottom only but the flames do lengthen when you increase the feed rate.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Color is a better indicator than height for a number of reasons one of which is burn height can be determined by the burn pot shape as well as size. So your medium could be someone else's low or high.

You want a blue flame above the pellets with white yellow tinged flames above the blue. This is an active fire with lively flames.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    X2! No lazy dark orange flame with black tips.
  5. wrkinonfire

wrkinonfire New Member

Loc:
    SYRACUSE NY
    I just spent an hour and a half cleaning my stove. Pot, above heat exchangers, removed, cleaned and reinstalled convection blower, and vaccumed everywhere i could. I have a very lively flame! I wish it would burn like this for more than a day............ :-S
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

Smitty, here's a pic of my 10-cpm burning on medium heat (5). 2nd pic was from my Astoria.

Similar flames from both, and I think they are just right.

Attached Files:

7. wrkinonfire

wrkinonfire New Member

Loc:
    SYRACUSE NY
    Here's mine burinin nice after a fresh cleanin..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bright!
    [​IMG]
  8. smitty273

smitty273 Member

Loc:
    Mine is way off. This at a 3-4 settting.

Attached Files:

9. smitty273

smitty273 Member

Loc:
    Here's another pic.

Attached Files:

10. imacman

imacman Guest

Smitty, just for the heck of it, try changing the bottom 3 buttons from 6-4-1, to 3-4-1. or 4-4-1. Let each setting "equalize" for about 30-45 minutes before trying another. Maybe the 6 setting on the LFF is too much for your set-up.
  11. newf lover

newf lover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    wrkinonfire, what are you burning??? You must have a really ashy pellet. Try a couple other brands to see if you get better results. The stove shouldn't be that big a PIA.
  12. smitty273

smitty273 Member

Loc:
    macman, was going to try changing bottom numbers but wasn't sure which ones to change up or down. will give it a try.

newf, tried 2 brands so far, both gave about the same flame, Winter Warmth from HD and the bag below from TSC.

Attached Files:

13. wrkinonfire

wrkinonfire New Member

Loc:
    SYRACUSE NY
    That;s what I hear, and what I am hoping.. I'm low on pellets now and I'm goin al out. Price is no object. I'm not getting anymore stove crap pellets.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.