What should the fire look like?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry100

Minister of Fire
May 16, 2008
NY Capitol Region
Actually read the manual for my new Country Canyon ( I think my Testosterone level is dropping) and got it thru my thick "know it all" head that this stove operates differently than my old "Jumbo Moe".

It would be useful to know what the fire should look like, as this will be the way I will ultimately judge adjustemtn of the draft.

Inputs appreciated.

It should look like burning wood. (I know, stupid answer to a perfectly valid question...but I'm not familiar with your appliance, so I've nothing but stupidity to offer. But, hey, it bumped your post to the top of the list, so maybe it wasn't a total waste. Somebody with some useful information will be along, I'm sure. Good luck.) Rick

The fire will have bursts of secondary flames above the wood and some flames shooting out the secondary tubes as well as yellow/orange flames on the wood itself.

Also look into a stove thermometer, it is a great tool for air adjustment.

With these newer EPA stoves I've found that its not so much what the fire looked like (what I used to be concerned about with the older stoves) but more what temp of the stove is running at.

I know, it sounds strange but the stove temp is really the gage you should go by to determine how well its operating.

I'm guessing that the flames above the wood mean that the secondary burn is working, which I assume is necessary for good combustion.

What's good range of operating temperatures measured at the stoves top surface, 300-350 degF as per the manual?

All I've got is a $10 Magnetic stove pipe thermometer used to make sure there was no chimney fire in the old stove.
Is that sufficient or are there more suitable units available?

Inputs appreciated.

I'm not familure with your stove by my Englander 13 is happy anywhere from say 350 (during the shoulder months) up to about 550-600 (during the coldest months).

I just use a magnetic Rutland thermometer that I place on the center of the stove top. This setup has worked very well for producing proper burns with little creosote in the chimney.

If your stove is non-cat, (I think it is), I've used/coined a few descriptive terms:
Ceiling of Fire.
Ghosts of Flame.
And occasionally, (dare I say it?) Tongues of Fire.

All basically describing flames not attached to wood.

Keep these terms in the back of your mind, and it will all make sense as you work the burn.

fossil said:
It should look like burning wood. (I know, stupid answer to a perfectly valid question...but I'm not familiar with your appliance, so I've nothing but stupidity to offer. But, hey, it bumped your post to the top of the list, so maybe it wasn't a total waste. Somebody with some useful information will be along, I'm sure. Good luck.) Rick
Hey Rick,you are getting close to the 2,000 mark,are you going to leave us to
at the height of the burning season :question:

Here's the first video I took with a new stove and new camera last winter. What looks like smoke is actually flames blowing downward in the airwash.

I don't know how fossil gets that look. Mine is more like the rolling gates of hell.

Turn the sound off.

[googlevideo]8605385200148806953[/googlevideo]

Search youtube.com for others

Loading the 13 N-S? What size ya have to cut the wood to fit it N-S?

With my insert,(and I know there are varaibles) my secondary starts at the same time as the blower kicks on. That is approx.475-500 degrees. A sight to behold,eh?? :p

Hogwildz said:
Loading the 13 N-S? What size ya have to cut the wood to fit it N-S?

I'm pretty sure I had E-W pieces below what you see. I probably had smaller scraps of hardwood on top that were left over from woodworking.

Off the top of my head though I think a 12" (14"max?) split will fit in N-S.

Kirk22 said:
...I don't know how fossil gets that look...

Cosmetic surgery, you like it?. %-P Rick

(P.S. That wasn't my video, just something off youtube about secondary burn.)

I'm new to all this too and have the same question.

Once you get the secondary burn going, what should the primary (logs) burn look like?

With full air the flames are high, with low air I can stop the flame all together but still have secondary burning (but it may not last too long).

I am thinking just a little primary flame + good secondary burn is the best. But not sure. Thoughts?

Ithaca said:
I'm new to all this too and have the same question.

Once you get the secondary burn going, what should the primary (logs) burn look like?

With full air the flames are high, with low air I can stop the flame all together but still have secondary burning (but it may not last too long).

I am thinking just a little primary flame + good secondary burn is the best. But not sure. Thoughts?

Lots of primary and secondary flame for at least 30 minutes, then start to bank it down. Once the wood is charred all round, that should be good enough, provided you are burning nice seasoned wood(20% moisture content)..

If your wood ain`t ready, then you ain`t ready either. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.