WHAT SILICONE TO USE?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
have to move my harman XXV out from the wall further.didn't know i had to clean a fines box and the blower fan,the installer never said anything,so,i had him put it 12 inches from the wall.well at 6'3" and 300lbs i cannot fit or have any room to do this.anyhow,going to add a 12" pipe to space it out from the wall.what silicone sealer do i want to use on the pipes?i see rutland makes a 600 degree black and red?is color the only difference?i also see alot of 500 degree silicones,is 500 enough protection?input always appreciated

Definitely use high-temp silicone tape. That way you can remove it easily if you need to. Comes in several colors and is cheap at a BBS.

I was made a firm believer in in the use of the self bonding silicone tape from advise from others here. It seals the seam after being stretched tight, easy and looks good and if the joint needs to be split one can cut on the seam and give the joint a twist.

tape it is then.hi Tony.the stove is catty-cornered in the room,making it very difficult P1050263.JPGP1050264.JPG

P1050265.JPG the silicone tape is rated up to 500 degrees.is that enough?

another question:the pipe the installer used is made by intertek.i don't see this type anywhere.are these all the same?if i need a 12'' extension piece can i just buy a duraflame brand from my local homedepo?i am assuming you don't cut this stuff you have to buy it to size?here's a pic of how they set it up

Last edited:
View attachment 155399 the silicone tape is rated up to 500 degrees.is that enough?

another question:the pipe the installer used is made by intertek.i don't see this type anywhere.are these all the same?if i need a 12'' extension piece can i just buy a duraflame brand from my local homedepo?i am assuming you don't cut this stuff you have to buy it to size?here's a pic of how they set it up
Each company is different so the pipes aren't interchangeable. Best is to get the extension from the same company as your own pipe. Google Intertek and 3 inch pellet stove pipe.

You have to use the same manufacturer. No pipes interchange so it's find the same or replace them all.

6'3 / 300 sounds like too much Christmas to me.

Sorry Rona, I was posting when you did.....

Last edited:
Remember that if your getting over 450F your going to be in bigger trouble with wood starting to combust.
Another tip is don't have a joint inside the wall thimble.

Hearth pad is a bit skimpy as well.........

6'3 / 300 sounds like too much Christmas to me.
To long of winter being shut in. February is very hard on my structure. Managed to only gain 3 pounds. Phew.

Just a simple tight wrap on the outside and about a extra half wrap to give the tape a good strong bonding surface to stick itself to.

thanks bioburner
looks like intertek is icc excel piping,seems they don't sell online and can only be purchased at a dealer.guess i have to go to the dealer that installed it to buy the pipe.45 mile ride each way.i would just bite the bullet and have them do it but they quoted $250 + parts.that's a bit steep

thanks bioburner
looks like intertek is icc excel piping,seems they don't sell online and can only be purchased at a dealer.guess i have to go to the dealer that installed it to buy the pipe.45 mile ride each way.i would just bite the bullet and have them do it but they quoted $250 + parts.that's a bit steep

They have to drive the same disatance you do, plus install the pipe. People think business is charity.... Don't work that way. I'd charge 300, my truck takes premium gas.

i understand sidecarflip everyone has to eat,but i offered to have them do it when they were in the area with another install or even when they deliver my pellet order.this way to prevent a solo trip that distance.but they said it didn't matter same price.

thanks for the link bluhming but it says pick up only,no shipping

even when they deliver my pellet order.this way to prevent a solo trip that distance.but they said it didn't matter same price.

Hope the pellets are the best price in the area--I, too, am surprised they'd charge that much for such a simple gig.

i understand sidecarflip everyone has to eat,but i offered to have them do it when they were in the area with another install or even when they deliver my pellet order.this way to prevent a solo trip that distance.but they said it didn't matter same price.

I'm with Flip on this. We owned a home repair and remodeling company in years past (sold it some years ago). When we started out we would try to give people a break with that same logic of doing things "when in the area" or on-site for something else. For the most part, it's a recipe for losing your shirt. More times than not you would call the customer up and say, we finished a job early - do you want "x" done today? Almost never (but how about next Wednesday, at the same low price?... You could call the day before and say, "We'll have a guy in the area tomorrow - do you want it done then? "No, that's not convenient - how about next Tuesday - at the same (discounted) price"? And there is no guarantee that the guy delivering your pellets knows anything about stove installation. For us, it wasn't as if the guy who cleaned gutters or fixed your stonework could do the same work as, say, our master electrician. In fact, it's probably a bad decision to have the same guy doing both given labor cost differences. We finally stopped doing that "when in the area" stuff entirely, charging rhe same price whether in the area or making a trip scheduled for just that call, and ended up earning a decent but fair profit that allowed us to survive when many others went under, and eventually sell the company because we had a reasonable profit to show. Sorry, man, but a business owner needs to eat, and save for the future, and pay a mortgage (along with meeting payroll, paying insurance premiums, etc.). If you can do the job well, more power to you. But otherwise, trying to "fit in" this type of job is a recipe for going broke.

I understand everyone has to eat,but i am just saying i think if they charged me $400 to do the original install that $250 seems a bit high.it took them about 4hrs to do the original install.how long could it take to pull the stove out and put a 12" piece of pipe in,20-30 minutes.i also listed in my post above i would wait for the installers to be in the area.i ran a major car dealership for 10 plus years.if my regular customers come in every couple months for service they always got a little break opposed to someone that would come in for the free warranty work and not spend a dime.we always looked at their history to determine the bill.i am sure you know how many new people would come in on a friend or family recommendation.thats how businesses excel.reputation.my parents purchased a stove and alot accessories over the years from them.i purchased a wood stove in my old house from them.my pellet stove from them.had them install both.purchased accessories from them,7 tons pellets from them.in otherwords i spent alot of $ with them.my cousin purchased and had them install a pellet stove on my reccommendation.the difference of $250 to $150 they lose the job and probably a lifetime customer and i will no longer reccommend them to anyone.sometimes a small break goes a long way.a $100 less to do the job will cost them tens of thousands of dollars over time

i ran a major car dealership for 10 plus years.if my regular customers come in every couple months for service they always got a little break opposed to someone that would come in for the free warranty work and not spend a dime.we always looked at their history to determine the bill.i
What a way to win new customers! A guy just moves into the area and has a problem. He never was at your dealership so you 'stick it to him'. He's no dummy so he knows he was just screwed. Guess who will never come back for service or to buy a new car. Guess who will do all he can to give your dealership a bad name. Maybe that's why you USED to run a dealership. ;) Having moved around the world for the service, I've been there many times.

I DO agree with you that the stove dealership is sticking it to you but when the shoe's on the other foot, it doesn't feel so good, does it?

Tj i never screwed or stuck it to anyone.if you read the post i said routine customers who came for service got a discount or a small break on the bill to show our gratitude.if a new person moved into the area and came for service we gave them the same open arms treatment as anyone else.we just didnt give them something for free or a discount.they just paid regular price.

Oh, OK. I just read that you looked at their record to see what to charge them. My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.