What size chain to use for Stihl 025?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, that may seem like a odd question. But I just upgraded my 021 with a new 250 long block. So now it is a 025. The 21 used 3/8 lp chain and I see the 25 uses the .325. I'm running a 16" bar and will say with the new engine the saw really screams. Is there any reason that I need to change to the larger chain? I still have 4 or 5 good Stihl chains left in 3/8 lp but don't want to hurt the saw.
Thanks!

I've actually been dying to try some 3/8p on a MS250. Shouldn't hurt it to run the smaller chain but you can always take the rakers on the chain down a tad to slow the RPM's and take a bigger bite.

Reactions: n6crv
Status
Not open for further replies.