What size chimney pipe once I leave the inside of the house with 6inch stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonsered

Feb 7, 2010
Woodstock CT
So my stove has a 5 inch exhaust and I plan to adapt it to 6 inch stove pipe to run it to the outside of the house. Once I am out of my cabins wall should I use 6 inch chimney pipe or 8 inch or other?

Thanks,

Nate

6" class A chimney once outside wall thimble. Have you explored going straight up from stove?

Yeah, I'm also assuming the cabin is one story. Go thru the roof if you can, theres a millions threads on here why. 6" is fine right up to the chimney cap.

If the manufacturer has a 5" exhaust on the stove I would assume their intention is to have 5" pipe - then transition to 5" chimney and extend this at least 3' through the roof. You intend to use a 5" to 6" adapter to increase the volume of the stove pipe. I most certainly would not go larger than 6" diameter chimney. Check with the manufacturer's instructions for their recommendation. Installing a too large diameter chimney could have a negative effect on the ability of the stack to draft properly, in my opinion. John_M

yes, stay 6" , if you open it up to 8", you will weaken the draft.

also, you need 6" CHIMNEY PIPE, NOT stove pipe. Chimney pipe is double or tripple insulated and is usually stainless steel. You cannot use stove pipe as a chimney.

finally in agreement with everyone else, keep the chimney inside the house as much as possible, this will be way better for draft. also, eliminate as much horizontal pipe as possible for the same reason.

FLINT said:
yes, stay 6" , if you open it up to 8", you will weaken the draft.

also, you need 6" CHIMNEY PIPE, NOT stove pipe. Chimney pipe is double or tripple insulated and is usually stainless steel. You cannot use stove pipe as a chimney.

finally in agreement with everyone else, keep the chimney inside the house as much as possible, this will be way better for draft. also, eliminate as much horizontal pipe as possible for the same reason.

Not too mention the increased ease of cleaning it. Brushes don't like taking corners. Its like a Nascar driver trying to make a right hand turn. %-P

Thank you everyone.

I am not going up to 6 inch pipe to increase the volume but rather because it is a much more standard size and I don't think the 1 inch will cause too much detriment to the stove's performance.

I did not plan to use stove pipe as my chimney pipe.

The cabin/cottage is 2 stories and there is plumbing above the stove on the second story so I will be going through the exterior wall on the fist floor of the building and then up the side of the building to the final height.

Thanks again for your help and hopefully I will have it installed and pics shortly.

Nate

6" should work fine and you'll be set for the future. Is this an older Jotul or Lange? We have our 602 connected to 6" round. It's happy as a clam.

BeGreen said:
6" should work fine and you'll be set for the future. Is this an older Jotul or Lange? We have our 602 connected to 6" round. It's happy as a clam.

I was shopping for a 602 for awhile but never found one for sale long enough that I could get to it!

I stumbled across a classic energy harvester stove locally and after doing some research decided I better scoop it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.