What Size File to Sharpen Husky e142 Chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sem67

Nov 6, 2007
Southern Ohio
The Husqvarna e142 (purchased new from Lowes a couple of weeks ago) works great. Love it! But chain size and what tools to use to sharpen them are a confusing subject to me, as they were to the Lowes rep I talked to!

They sell two Husky "kits" that include roller guide/depth gauge, 2 files and handle, but according to the Lowes man, none would fit the 142 properly. The kits are labeled 3/8 inch and .325 pixel. Is it true that neither of these work for the big selling 142? They sold me an Oregon kit that includes what I would assume is a "generic" guide and a 5/32 file. I haven't opened the package yet... I want to be sure I am using the right tools!

Thanks in advance for steering me toward the proper tools.

Assuming your 142 is running 3/8" LowProfile (Oregon 91-series; most are) chain, then 5/32" will do the job. I say "assuming" because some 142's ship with .325" pitch chain, though not usually to the US market.

You should have gotten a manual with the saw, and possibly a box that the chain came in - both should be well marked as to what file size is needed, and the appropriate angles to file it at

Gooserider

The only place I found the chain specs was on a decal on the saw. Being a low end homeowner saw the manual simply states that you should have your chain professionally sharpened. http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HOEN/HOEN2005/HOEN2005_5301661-32.pdf

I need to double check but I don't think the last technical page from the web copy was included with the manual in my package, which would make sense since the saw came with a different bar and chain.

I'm surprised, I would have expected better from Husky, I know I had better info than that on my POS Poulan (which is made by the same company BTW) In that case I would definitely take the saw and chain to a good hardware store, or Outdoor Power Equipment shop and get a definite ID on the chain, and it's specs...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.